Roco Z21 Booster Light for Accessories

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Quick question. I have a Z21 black (upgraded from my z21 Start) and i run 4 x ADS8SX accessory decoders for my points. I would like to seperate the accessories from the Z21 to prevent shorts knocking out the accessories and having to reset them. 

Would the Roco Z21 booster light do this? I assume i connect the booster to the Z21 and the track outputs to the accessory decoders instead of a section of track?

Thank you

Ian

Edited by ianLMS
Spelling

Ian - do you use Railcom? If you don't then the 10805 will work for you perfectly (the 10805 only forwards Railcom - however you need to wire the Accessories to the Z21 and the track to the 10805. You also need to disable the forwarding on short circuits in the 10805.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Yes you can do what you say. I use the 10805 on my layout to keep the accessories separate from the track bus. The 10805 generates a Railcom cutout but doesn't forward messages to the z21 itself, but as you intend using it just for accessories this shouldn't be a problem.

On my layout I use NCE Switch 8 point decoders, these don't like Railcom so on my booster I have Railcom turned off.

Regards,

John P

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

You cannot use the 10805 for accessories if the objective is to allow you to switch accessories when there is a track short - you must wire it the way I stated

Quite right! I'm frequently guilty of not reading posts thoroughly enough. 🤔

I use a PSX to prevent track shorts interfering with point operation, which might also be an option for the OP. I needed the booster as I'd max'ed out my Z21, I chose the 10805 so that I could turn off Railcom for my accessory decoders and still use it with loco detection on the track bus.

Regards,

John P