RMweb

Nifkin's Bridge Part Deux - The Lengthening!

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Official visit or through the fence? Looks a well timed visit either way. Luck you 👍😀

Through the fence. The camera’s too tall to fit under the wires and I’ve not yet found one small enough, but also with a narrow enough aperture to get a decent depth of field in the shot. I’ll see what I can do from the diesel depot end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Southwich said:

Looking great Tim - the finish you’ve achieved on 40139 is excellent!

Kind regards,

Will

Thanks, Will. Superglue and a little spray of activator makes for an excellent filler around the screen etches. Applied with a cocktail stick or a piece of wire, it flows into any gaps and it easily rubbed down into shape with wet and dry. It also helps machining the bottom of the etch so you don’t need to cut a slot in the top of the bonnets when you fit them. Any bits I missed with the filler showed up when I primed over the top so I went back and repeated. From the one I redid on 063, I can say that they end up being very firmly stuck in place and need some force to remove the etch, so no chance of them coming adrift.

Once again, Railmatch BR Blue is a perfect match to the Bachmann blue and you can’t see the join. Once the transfers had been applied, I oversprayed the whole body with a 50/50 mix of Precision satin and gloss as their satin is still quite a matt finish straight out of the tin. Headcode box ends were attached once the paint job was finished and the glazing added. 

40044 is about to get the treatment, and I think I’ll revisit all my existing Bachmann 40s and redo the windscreens now I’ve finally  worked out the best way to do them. I’m still in the market for a new RTR 40 to run alongside these ones if a good one is released, though. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Lovely work as is always the case.

The 90 and 91 are a nice touch, I presume brand new off Crewe BREL  works ?

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

Indeed they are and with a Class 89 from Accurascale to follow. I remember them being built.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Indeed they are and with a Class 89 from Accurascale to follow. I remember them being built.

Sounds nice, dare I suggest a nice touch would be to add the DM&EE MKIII Test Car 10 ? 89001 and ten car stables on the depot and toddles off to Basford Hall yard to pick up a test load of freight wagons for traction test running over the Westmorland Fells...........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Sounds nice, dare I suggest a nice touch would be to add the DM&EE MKIII Test Car 10 ? 89001 and ten car stables on the depot and toddles off to Basford Hall yard to pick up a test load of freight wagons for traction test running over the Westmorland Fells...........

That’d be an easy one to model. I got a Hornby Laboratory 2 at GETS at weekend, though it’s blue parts are a comedy shade of BR blue. They will get oversprayed with the correct Monastral blue and new transfers applied, methinks. Thought it was the lighting in the arena until I compared it to some other models. Love the RTC livery though.

Edit - I have a couple of battered Lima Mk IIIs in a drawer, so a Test Car 10 is a possibility with a respray, Laserglaze and transfers.

image.png.82240068fe20aa8a70220d31032c93bf.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

That’d be an easy one to model. I got a Hornby Laboratory 2 at GETS at weekend, though it’s blue parts are a comedy shade of BR blue. They will get oversprayed with the correct Monastral blue and new transfers applied, methinks. Thought it was the lighting in the arena until I compared it to some other models. Love the RTC livery though.

image.png.82240068fe20aa8a70220d31032c93bf.png

Yes, it is a very pleasing livery, my favourite from all eras at the RTC. Thank's for posting the pic, while there are plenty of 97201's about, I have not seen may "Ixions", quite the rare bird model wise.

I just have 97201 and the Tribometer Test Train in RTC. Red / blue, and while I have. Lincoln Locos ready to roll Peak, it will have to be a normal traffic rail blue job when I get round to painting it.

Really liking the pic on Nifkins Bridge, 97403's bogie and underframe weathering looks spot on to me.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Really liking the pic on Nifkins Bridge, 97403's bogie and underframe weathering looks spot on to me.

Thanks, I'll have to post some pics of the next one when it's being done as I've worked it all out as I've gone along working on different locos. It'll probably be another 40, though there's a 37 and an 87 waiting for some love too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The final countdown for Banger Blue livery on the AC electrics happened in 1984 when 87006 and 87012 were repainted into new liveries for evaluation. I was going to model 012, but then I found pictures of 018 in early IC Executive livery still with its crossarm pantograph, so I modelled that one instead. I've been after an 87006 for a while and managed to pick one up from GETS for a decent price so here they both are. I've repainted the doors on 006 grey as I don't recall them being black. The latest Hornby BW pan follows the wires. Will see if it lasts.

image.png.a5564af5784fd79c43c41a13c6389b6b.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

After 87006, I had 37034 awaiting weathering and Laserglaze, which I completed yesterday. A few 37s retained the bufferbeam skirts well into the mid-eighties so I now have that variant represented.

image.png.43ee0f410c3f516d1195643fffac0751.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Hi, stunning work as usual, the 40 is dead subtle weathering, absolutely love it.

The seven next door is looks rather nice too.

Best regards

TT100 Diesels

Thank you! The funny thing with the weathering is it looks more pronounced in real life, but more subdued when photographed. It may be the LED light which also removes a little of the greenish cast in the BR blue, too.

I’m now in the process of redoing the windscreens on my existing Class 40 models, so have the departmentals to do next. They’re also getting sound fitted.

I’m also retiring my original model of 97406 (40135) and replacing it with a retooled Bachmann model. The original will be retained though as it’s the very first model I did when I got back into modelling, but it’s been revamped so many times it’s getting to the point where it should be left alone now! 

DSCF0761.JPG.6ecc336ef99d00211e631a8be8a39d75.JPG

I have some SLW Class 25s arriving soon, and a couple of Cavalex 56s due soon too away from the Whistlers.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7

On 10/11/2023 at 12:35, 97406 said:

Thank you! The funny thing with the weathering is it looks more pronounced in real life, but more subdued when photographed. It may be the LED light which also removes a little of the greenish cast in the BR blue, too.

I’m now in the process of redoing the windscreens on my existing Class 40 models, so have the departmentals to do next. They’re also getting sound fitted.

I’m also retiring my original model of 97406 (40135) and replacing it with a retooled Bachmann model. The original will be retained though as it’s the very first model I did when I got back into modelling, but it’s been revamped so many times it’s getting to the point where it should be left alone now! 

DSCF0761.JPG.6ecc336ef99d00211e631a8be8a39d75.JPG

I have some SLW Class 25s arriving soon, and a couple of Cavalex 56s due soon too away from the Whistlers.

if it’s been revamped so many times but still the same loco, you should get a set of Triggers Broom nameplates for it 😆

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

if it’s been revamped so many times but still the same loco, you should get a set of Triggers Broom nameplates for it 😆

Only the nose ends and the central body section survive from the original.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Great work as usual Tim. Your work has got me thinking about a small plank out here in Aus!

Kind regards,

Will

You could always do a small diorama that fits into a suitcase. It’ll give the baggage scanners something to talk about when you take it with you!

• Funny 1