Nifkin's Bridge Part Deux - The Lengthening!

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Recently I've got myself a secondhand DSLR camera and a macro lens for layout photography. I'm getting some nice clear shots with the camera on a tripod and the smallest aperture possible (F32).

Here's some of the first shots.

IMG_9941.JPG.a20b89a6e934e6e3d408fdff8df043af.JPG

IMG_9940.JPG.ccd19b3336b9d031413e44618a7c99c7.JPG

IMG_9937.JPG.d32d0fef9c748658177a1e7b8a3ba891.JPG

Img9933.JPG.fa771d582659ec75cb3664bb2db5abe8.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

The intention is to eventually have a proper mainline section to run trains on but until then I can make do with some diorama action instead.

IMG_9991.JPG.50f5fbdfa5a59177797b3108f115bc4e.JPG

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, 97406 said:

The intention is to eventually have a proper mainline section to run trains on but until then I can make do with some diorama action instead.

IMG_9991.JPG.50f5fbdfa5a59177797b3108f115bc4e.JPG

That Class 81 looks great, how did you build that one? Was it a kit or a conversion?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, GordonC said:

That Class 81 looks great, how did you build that one? Was it a kit or a conversion?

It's mainly Bachmann Class 85 with a Trix centre bodyshell thrown in. Details from here:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of pictures with the ISO turned down to 100 on the camera and F22 on the lens. Much sharper images as a result.

IMG_9992.JPG.cfff15393a742ea9d6c19cf18c4f86f8.JPG

img_9993.JPG.7c59d871e303406062179c7082e87e67.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The newer section of the layout was designed so I could take shots of lineups of locomotives and here's a couple. Firstly some banger blue electrics...

0022.JPG.fd2a402231f4f410cedbe2cc2769f172.JPG

And some InterCity ones.

0021.JPG.cb43ed5e4ab28c8d56d61828910773bc.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

The newer section of the layout was designed so I could take shots of lineups of locomotives and here's a couple. Firstly some banger blue electrics...

0022.JPG.fd2a402231f4f410cedbe2cc2769f172.JPG

And some InterCity ones.

0021.JPG.cb43ed5e4ab28c8d56d61828910773bc.JPG

Superb, absolutely brilliant photo opportunities. Love both pic of the leccis, but the 90 and 91 resonate with me.

Great stuff and well worth the effort

Cheers

D.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

You really must post directions (or a Google Maps link perhaps??) of how to get to that bridge / viewing point you use @97406, as the variety of stuff you get through there and on shed beats what I am seeing locally hands down.  I have really searched on Google, but cannot find the shed anywhere!  Mind you when I go, some smart alec will probably come along and say "oh you should have been here yesterday!"

Really great modelling, lovely to follow along with and I hope you get the extension and bigger layout that your seeking.

Rich

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, MarshLane said:

You really must post directions (or a Google Maps link perhaps??) of how to get to that bridge / viewing point you use @97406, as the variety of stuff you get through there and on shed beats what I am seeing locally hands down.  I have really searched on Google, but cannot find the shed anywhere!  Mind you when I go, some smart alec will probably come along and say "oh you should have been here yesterday!"

Really great modelling, lovely to follow along with and I hope you get the extension and bigger layout that your seeking.

Rich

Thanks, Rich - glad you're enjoying my tinkerings!

Nifkin's Bridge exists in a parallel universe not too far from Crewe, and is seen here somewhere between the late 70s to early 90s (with a lot of blurring of the timeline due to Rule 1 considerations). This allows for all sorts of exotic locos such as Scottish 26s and 37s as well ex-works stuff coming off Crewe Works. It covers the period from my late teens where I managed to get into the railways proper, catching the end of the 25s and 40s, along with the beginnings of sectorisation and all the new liveries involved.

It is a modular layout so it will fit into a bigger one in due course. In the meantime, I'm considering a small extension at the diesel depot end to add more stabling and a fuel point, but this will be designed so that it can then be incorporated into later extensions.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Superb, absolutely brilliant photo opportunities. Love both pic of the leccis, but the 90 and 91 resonate with me.

Great stuff and well worth the effort

Cheers

D.

Thank you. I remember them being built along with the 89. I've always held a fascination with electric locos, growing up in Timperley with copious amounts of 25s and 40, then 20s and 37s over Skelton Junction as well! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Nifkin's Bridge exists in a parallel universe not too far from Crewe, and is seen here somewhere between the late 70s to early 90s (with a lot of blurring of the timeline due to Rule 1 considerations). This allows for all sorts of exotic locos such as Scottish 26s and 37s as well ex-works stuff coming off Crewe Works. It covers the period from my late teens where I managed to get into the railways proper, catching the end of the 25s and 40s, along with the beginnings of sectorisation and all the new liveries involved.

It is a modular layout so it will fit into a bigger one in due course. In the meantime, I'm considering a small extension at the diesel depot end to add more stabling and a fuel point, but this will be designed so that it can then be incorporated into later extensions.

I grew up going train spotting at Crewe 1987 / 88 . Then in 89 I started riding behind locos on the Derby - Crewe / Llandudno and thus began my bashing era. Therefore the period you are modelling is very evocative to me. If I had more space and wasn’t obsessed with 1980s highland railways then this is the kind of layout I’d like to attempt. I very much look forward to seeing it extend , especially as the standard of every thing you do is top notch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

It is a great concept to showcase traction and rolling stock, and I like it a lot.

It's perhaps not a million miles away from Phil Mason's "Bluish", a small 3mm scale cameo of Reddish with a side portion of Guide Bridge thrown in. That also sees plenty of 'exotic' traction at exhibitions, simply as a means of showcasing what can be achieved in the scale - including some of my roster !

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

PS - Apologies for the slight thread hijack.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

It is a great concept to showcase traction and rolling stock, and I like it a lot.

It's perhaps not a million miles away from Phil Mason's "Bluish", a small 3mm scale cameo of Reddish with a side portion of Guide Bridge thrown in. That also sees plenty of 'exotic' traction at exhibitions, simply as a means of showcasing what can be achieved in the scale - including some of my roster !

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

PS - Apologies for the slight thread hijack.

No problem at all! I well remember Reddish and recall attempting to drive a 31 there at an open day in the early 70s (with much assistance from a driver and crying from myself! :D ). I've been admiring the High Peak Junction and Bluish threads. Back in the day I remember thinking 3mm scale would be ideal for modelling and in retrospect, much more preferable to the TT:120 stuff being released now.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I've been trying out the West Hill Wagon Works Class 40 chassis pack. Mainly for the bogie jumpers and MW cables, but also the neat lifting points. I'm pleased with the result and much better detail than my scratchbuilt chassis details.

0033.JPG.41b9f860bf3e8de6f040abd3cd45c5ce.JPG

0032.JPG.e8dcef877afae4e360a62c82f3520989.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 9