Shardlow

Peter Kazmierczak

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So another month passes...

"Dad, I want to come home from uni for the weekend; can you give me a lift?"

"Dad, our flight arrives at Gatwick at 2am on a Sunday morning and there are no trains until after 5.45am - can you pick us up, please?"

So just a bit of modelling on Shardlow. Most of the buildings have been constructed, though I can't find where I put that signalbox I made 40+ years ago...

A little landscaping - the bridge is a Scalescenes kit. I was going to scratchbuild one but life is too short. And I forgot where I put the plans of a suitable one are. 

Usual method of strips of card from cereal packets to form the landscape; nothing mind shattering there. I feel it's imporant to place the bridge and roadway first, though, then build up the surrounding landforms.

P1580001.JPG

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a little progress Peter. I know where you are coming from with daughters  😉, Just wait till you have grandchildren to contend with as well 🙈. Modelling time becomes even less 🤣.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Whilst Shardlow is a single-line branch terminus, most many single lines appear to have had their bridges built to double-track dimensions - hence the double-width one here. 

Corrected for you!  But the point is well made.

Photos of West Highland or Far North lines prove the exception.
Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, I know PECO code 100 track looks very "heavy", but the whole point of this layout was to use up stuff I already had. Also, I have some old Tri-ang and Lima rolling stock that would have problems on the finer-scale track.

I hope you can see from the photo (in the post above) that the running line on the left is slightly higher (and better ballasted) than the yard headshunt on the right.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just trying to get a "feel" for the positioning of some of the buildings on Shardlow. From left to right:

Goods shed adapted from a Scalescenes goods warehouse - came as a free download in the Hornby TT Club magazine last year, so made it look more LMR by colouring the doors maroon, adding a chimney, etc...

Station building - based on Worthington (on the Derby - Ashby line). I built this model some 40 years ago and have finally used it on a layout!

Weighbridge - another (free) Scalescenes downloaded kit. I do recommend Scalescenes (no connection with the firm) as the colouring/design of their structures is spot-on.

Coal merchants' offices - based on the ones at Matlock.

Slowly it's all coming together... Sorry for the duvet; the baseboard was dumped onto the bed in the spare room for the photo.

P1620554.JPG

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

And this is the other board...

A basin of the Trent & Mersey canal will be on the left; grain warehouse next to it, scratch built on the one at Shardlow. LMS store in the foreground (Scalescenes free download); not sure where this'll go at the mo.

I'm not one into using a computer programme to design layouts. I'm more of a pencil, paper and "does it look right" type...

P1620957.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...