London Road Models - new kits

Jol Wilkinson

London Road Models have introduced two new 4mm loco kits

These are for the LNER J1 (GNR J26) 0-6-0 and the LNER J7 (GNR J9). Both kits have been designed and developed by Frank Davies for the Shipley Model Railway Society’s Clayton layout. Etched in nickel silver and brass the kits include cast brass and white metal fittings, nuts, bolts bearings, wire, etc. Motor, gearbox and wheels are required to complete the model to 00, EM or P4 gauge as preferred. Their design differs in some ways from a traditional LRM kits as Frankl has designed these to meet his own requirements. Each kit is priced at £125:00.

Fifteen of the J1 class, designed by Ivatt, were introduced in 1908 for use on fast goods services and passenger duties. The last was withdrawn in 1954, by which time they had been used widely over the LNER and BR(E) area. The boilers were interchangeable with several other classes of locomotives and during their working lives the boilers and fittings changed.  While the kit covers the major changes, not all options (alternate castings, etc.) could be economically provided in the kit although these are available separately from LRM.

The Stirling designed J7 were introduced in 1896, to handle freight in the West riding of Yorkshire. Over time they received different boilers and Ivatt style cabs. All these options are included in the kit. The last J7 was withdrawn in 1936.

Also new is an etched 4mm nickel silver chassis kit to fit the Barton-Wright "Ironclad" Class 25  0-6-0.

This is designed solely for 18.83 gauge , incorporating CSB suspension for both the loco and tender. The chassis fold up for ease of assembly and accuracy. Both loco and tender etched chassis are provided, together with brake gear, etc. Nuts, bolts, wire and High Level Hornblocks are included. Price £52:20

Following the closure at very short notice of London Road Models primary supplier of etched components, LRM has had to source etches from a new supplier. While some kits are in stock, a number will be temporarily unavailable until beginning of November 2022. Please contact LRM at the address below to confirm availability

LRM have also not increased their prices since 2019 so it is probable that the supply of new etches will increase in price significantly A new price list will be issued when the impact of the cost of new etches and other operating expenses have established.

So far the only item which has a revised price is the London Road Models Resistance Soldering Unit, now available at £245:00.

London Road Models can be contacted at;

London Road Models
PO Box 643
Watford
Herts
WD18 6ZU

londonroadmodels@btinternet.com

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Amended text
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I'm assuming the Resistance Soldering Unit.

It's great to see new kits still being designed - although thankfully for my wallet none of immediate interest!

There are some new wagons on the way.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Considering how much mine gets used compared to my soldering iron even at £245 it's a good price.

Yes, I've been toying with the idea of an alternative to my trusty (crusty), Antex XS25 for some time now 👍

• Like 1