Bachmann class 20 slow runner

David62

Hi folks

I have a Bachmann class 20  on  the EZ command controller  (whiskies Galore DCC sound set)  new!

now!  the 20 used to operate great and at top speed with sound function perfectly on the oval circuit with the EZ command controller supplied with the whiskies galore set but now its on a 6x3  folding shunting yard layout  4 tracks with points  and  Hornby point clips on all the points  to make all the track live and track feeders wired to the track joins when its set up  and still  it  runs very slowly?

I have a DCC class 47 on the same layout set up as above with the same  controller it runs at slow &  top speed!   but the 20 seems to have slowed right down for some reason   I have tried re programming it and its just the same  slow speed? even at full turn of the controller speed knob  sound functions great but the speed has decreased enormously!!   there is a coasting  function on the EZ command controller and its  working fine  too so  whats going on?? HELP PLEASE!!

Check the value of cv5.  That sets the maximum speed and will have a value between 1-255 where 255 is maximum. You may find that the default value has been set lower than 255.  If that's the case try increasing it until you get a speed you are happy with - or just change it to 255. 

Edited by jamesed

1 hour ago, jamesed said:

Check the value of cv5.  .....

The original poster, David62, said " on the EZ command controller": a system with no facilities to check or change CV values(*).

(* a total pedant might correct me: it can write CV1 and a couple of the bits in CV29.  It can't read anything.).  

- Nigel

3 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

The original poster, David62, said " on the EZ command controller": a system with no facilities to check or change CV values(*).

(* a total pedant might correct me: it can write CV1 and a couple of the bits in CV29.  It can't read anything.).  

- Nigel

Oh dear. So the slightly harsh (sorry) answer has to be that the OP should save up to buy a decent dcc controller in order to be able to experience the benefits of using dcc.  There's not much point in spending lots of money on dcc fitted locos if you don't have the right equipment to drive them.  In the short term I suggest taking the loco down to your local model railway club where I'm sure someone will be happy to program cv5 with a value of 255. 

• RMweb Gold

Sorry,  but I think that if the Op's using a EZ command controller as Nigel has said then how would the CV values have changed?  Plus the sound functions and the coasting function are working ok.

Main change seems to have been the change to a more permanent layout but as the 47 appears to be Ok Maybe a red herring.

Rather than jump to the decoder as an issue, what about mechanical issues that could be a cause such as the grease or lubrication used.  Could this have solidified in the gearboxes and be causing friction slowing the class 20 down?

Dirty wheels I would have thought would give intermittant running rather that slowing it down.

How are you feeding power to the track? You mention track feeders. I think that there is an issue with some Hornby track Power Clips that makes them unsuitable for DCC.

Although why that would only affect one loco is beyond me.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, beejack said:

. . . how would the CV values have changed? 

Sorry, the first paragraph of the OP seemed to read that this model was a new one being compared with an existing model. My assumption was that the default level for cv5 was set low, which can happen - I have experienced one type of decoder that has a default of 200 for cv5.   Having re-read the post I can now see that this may not be the case so I apologise for any confusion caused by my post by suggesting that cv5 is the problem. However, I stand by what I said about replacing the controller. If you want to get the full benefit of DCC then a decent controller which allows reading and writing of CVs is surely a no brainer. 

Hi Guys

thank you all for the valuable replies!   Its a simple controller as one reply mentioned was just to test the new track  and the track clips were working ok on the old layout as Bachmann state make all the track Live.

I have the Hornby Elite with which the track clips are also used to make all the track live   and I will connect the beast when all the point motors and modules and wiring are installed.

i have checked the EZ command for coasting function and all other functions and that was turned off so  the problem lies with the 20  loco as both the 47 & 56 were working fine on the same layout afterwards.

I will check the loco out for  the above mentioned possible problems by all the replies i had  and will let you all know what happened

Thanks 

Guys!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, David62 said:

Hi  

yeah the wheels are fine Mate  its running fine now  dunno what was goin on with it?

Strange one alright. 

I have a loco like that as well. 

At the start of a session it runs at about half speed. After a while it speeds up to normal speed again & is fine for the rest of the time until the next session? 

I run on DCC so it obviously the motor or the dcc decoder as every other loco is fine. I'll have a look at when I get a chance. I'll start by changing the decoder & take it from there? 

One of the mysteries of our hobby 😏