Gluing Card to Plastic

ISW

I agree with Chas Levin above about DL Glue n Glaze,  which I got recently primarily to attach cockpit canopies to plastic models. I'd previously used PVA applied with a cocktail stick but this is easier and less likely to go wrong!

Very impressed by your roof with that very fine framing.

6 hours ago, ISW said:

Thanks, that's encouraging news. Maybe for my next test .... (after the PVA results are in).

Ian

PVA 0 - 1 Tacky Glue

And the results are in; Dismal Failure, just as predicted by several of you.

However, since I also have a bottle of Anita's 'Tacky Glue' to hand (with handy precision tip ...), and that I'd already used it to successfully glue styrene strip to plywood (for platform edging) I thought why not try that ...

It works Just Fine gluing card to acetate, and dries clear. Now that was a pleasant surprise. My test was to glue the 2 parts in the photo of my initial posting.

So what's the difference? Tacky Glue says it's PVA (PVA 22172 to be exact). Are there some secret 'herbs & spices'?

Ian

I thought I'd better include a photo of the Tacky Glue results:

IMG_20221024_213502_resize.jpg.7a889d44789b4e2f53866ae5305e583e.jpg

The 230gsm paper framing was glued to the acetate (just on the perimeters of the 3-sides) and folded after the glue had dried (under some weights) for about 1-hour. I'm sure the edges would be much 'straighter' when attached to some support framing.

I'm now in 2-minds whether to do as above (folding) or in 3-separate panels and then glue them together as suggested by @phil_sutters.

Ian

The important thing to bear in mind when using solvents and adhesives is that solvents, as the name suggests, are like welding and so as long as the surfaces are grease-free there should be a good bond.  Adhesives on the other hand often need the surfaces to have a key, ie, be roughed up, or be porous.

However, I am currently combining both by using Tamya extra thin solvent to cement styrene tiles onto a plywood platform edge using capillary action......