Thunderbolt Models, Coventry

The Evil Bus Driver

It's giving me great pleasure to announce this. 

Thunderbolt Models will be opening a new model shop at Coventry Covered Market from November 1st. They've been a pop-up shop until now so a new permanent location is a great thing, it's some of the members of Daventry MRC.

Definitely worth popping in for a cup of tea and a chat if you're in the area (and you'll probably come away with a lighter wallet hehe) 

They also buy second hand stuff and collections so there's always something interesting to be had. 

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Glad a date has been set for this, I've been keeping tabs on them for a while. I now need to schedule a trip to Cov with SWMBO, thinly disguised as an xmas shopping trip. Our bus passes get us from Rugby to Cov free of charge so makes for a cheapish day out. 

Does the 'Evil bus driver' do the '86  service?

Graham

3 hours ago, dagrizz said:

Glad a date has been set for this, I've been keeping tabs on them for a while. I now need to schedule a trip to Cov with SWMBO, thinly disguised as an xmas shopping trip. Our bus passes get us from Rugby to Cov free of charge so makes for a cheapish day out. 

Does the 'Evil bus driver' do the '86  service?

Graham

heh thats a great plan.

And yes the Evil Bus Driver does indeed do the 86. If you're regular on there you've probab;y seen me already. I'm the one with long hair. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

And yes the Evil Bus Driver does indeed do the 86. 

I've followed that bus many times over the years but there's never anyone using the service. Maybe they should reopen Brandon & Wolston station.🤣

1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

heh thats a great plan.

And yes the Evil Bus Driver does indeed do the 86. If you're regular on there you've probab;y seen me already. I'm the one with long hair. 

I'll look out for you next time.

My long hair fell out decades ago. 🙁 

On 24/10/2022 at 18:37, gwrrob said:

I've followed that bus many times over the years but there's never anyone using the service. Maybe they should reopen Brandon & Wolston station.🤣

Heh maybe. There's a clear enough area next to the track where it was.

Most people go from Rughy to Long Lawford and some to Wolston but rarely more than a handful go beyond. Usually to Morrisons at Binley. After that it's usually concession pass holders as the public mainly use National Distress.

• Informative/Useful 1

In Coventry with work which is rare these days so going over to say hello in a few mins!

Edited to say it’s a decent setup. Friendly proprietors with some unusual bits including South African rolling stock (never seen before). 

I was visitor number one which was cool. Sadly not customer number one but I’ll be back whenever I’m in Coventry. 

Edited by ianmacc
Added info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made a special trip today as I don't usually go into town (although Mrs 298 is there a couple of times a week and used to be sent into Antics for bits and pieces). The stock on display was a blast from my childhood past and despite its age was all in good condition. I was handed a 10% discount card and brought a HOn3 gondola kit and then went back for a HO Hopper for the Cuban layout, both would be rare to see at regular shops being American and the kit certainly more so, so that was a worthwhile trip. The location certainly has alot of passing traffic and I'm sure the location (it's near the entrance from the lower precinct) will be worthwhile as soon as word gets around, and in many ways makes more sense than a shop in the suburbs as there were other customers and window shoppers. 

I hope the proprietors can make a success of it, and I'm mindful of the empty IKEA store nearby and my desire to take a sabattical from work should they expand into bigger premises... 

Edited by 298
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2022 at 22:50, 298 said:

go into town..

ah, that takes me back to my younger days in Cov, we always said we were going 'into town', in my case it was on the number 9 from Ernesford... oh happy daze :-)

cheers.

Keith

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 19:26, tractionman said:

ah, that takes me back to my younger days in Cov, we always said we were going 'into town', in my case it was on the number 9 from Ernesford... oh happy daze :-)

cheers.

Keith

I think that comes from marrying someone from Cheylesmore, when I was younger apparently I called it "the City Centre" or variation of because that was what was written on the front of the no.20 from Beduth.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/12/2022 at 22:18, dagrizz said:

When I caught the no.20, I was going to Cov. If I went "into town", I was walking to the middle of Bedduth.

Graham

There was a short lived model shop in Bedworth I recall. Around 2010 or so. 

I lived in Stoke for a few years around then. (Cov stoke not the potteries). 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, ianmacc said:

There was a short lived model shop in Bedworth I recall. Around 2010 or so. 

I lived in Stoke for a few years around then. (Cov stoke not the potteries). 

Yes there was, I forget what it was called. I don't live in Bedworth anymore (not since 1968!) but I did visit the shop when it was open.

Graham

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/01/2023 at 18:00, dagrizz said:

Yes there was, I forget what it was called. I don't live in Bedworth anymore (not since 1968!) but I did visit the shop when it was open.

Graham

The Railway and Modellers Junction? I had to look that one up, and can't ever remember going in there. There was also one at the top of Newtown Rd/Park Rd in the late 1980s, and previously alot of my pocket money was spent at Pollard's, £2.50 for a Peco turnout and £14.95 for an Airfix 14xx, what's year that was.

Anyway, going back to Thunderbolt Models, Saturday is free Coffee morning, 10am-12pm.

• 9 months later...

Off to Cov this morning to see the Thunderbolt event in the market. SWMBO is coming along and we can make it a combined day out/xmas shopping trip. Travel to Cov is free for us with our bus passes so should be a cheapish day out, unless I can find a 'bargain' at the event.

Graham