Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Updating a scrap box Lima Mk2D

I picked up this old Lima intercity Mk2D off eBay for 99p- it was missing a bogie, the buffers are broken and it's generally showing its age! The livery is not brilliant but experience has taught me to leave this well alone as I am not good at complicated masking jobs. I have some spare Dapol/Hornby mk2 bogies so they will be going under it and I am trying to get it into a useable state without spending any cash! First step has been to repaint the interior (first time the airbrush has been out in 8 years!). I am also going to replace the glazing which has always been the weak point of Lima's models. The new glazing is cut from CD cases and filed to shape. Three hours of work and I have done one side. Still a long way to go, but I am pleased with progress so far.

20221030_154132.jpg

20221030_102933.jpg

• Like 12

Bogies are now fitted and we have passengers together with some newspapers and laptops on the tables inside. Tomorrow's jobs are  repainting the roof, fitting some overhead line warning decals to the ends and some weathering. I am really pleased at how this is coming together.

20221105_204401.jpg

20221105_204337.jpg

Edited by West_riding
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2022 at 17:54, BernardTPM said:

I think you'll find the Lima air-cons were modelled on Mk.2F rather than Mk.2D, having less boxes underneath and the larger, single fan. The roof vents at the ends are slightly different too.

Didn't 2Ds also have both toilets on the same side?

@West_riding That looks good. The windows alone make a huge difference but the interior & passengers bring it up another level.

I always struggled with masking too: I found the tape either pulled off some paint or didn't stick at all & left a jagged line. I was them recommended Tamiya's tape which is much better: Nice crisp line & it stays in place without pulling off lumps of paint when you remove it.

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Didn't 2Ds also have both toilets on the same side?

Yes, though so did the 2E. The smaller redesigned toilets allowed the second opens to revert to 64 seats instead of 62 as found on Mk.2B, C & D. Similarly the brake seconds 32, up from 31. Luggage racks were incorporated into the non-window side.

• Like 1