Roxey mouldings 0 gauge Austerity build

sagaguy

You had me excited for a minute: another Hunslet to try?

I have 90722 built some twenty years ago from a Meteor Models kit. Is it perhaps the same kit under a new label?

If tomorrow doesn't run away from me I will take it out and take a photo on Frydale.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

90722 was a Normanton engine. There was an article in MRJ that super weathered a 4mm model of her. As I no longer have the layout she was built for she will probably stay ex works.

The model uses the American system of current collection and has a Cannon ABC motor. After at least ten years in her case she pulled away perfectly although I need to investigate why the bogie gaurdirons foul on the Peco point work of Frydale.

Update. As a short term fix I simply bent up the front part of the bogie frame. Long term, a little research is needed into the appearance of the prototype. I did check the instructions ( is anyone else a seriel instructions hoarder?) and discovered that the kit may have originated with the Carriage and Wagon Works circa 1990. They start with a warning that this kit might not be for the novice builder and carry a signature of J Mc.........?.

Edited by doilum

1 hour ago, doilum said:

I did check the instructions ( is anyone else a seriel instructions hoarder?) and discovered that the kit may have originated with the Carriage and Wagon Works circa 1990. They start with a warning that this kit might not be for the novice builder and carry a signature of J Mc.........?.

Is that not a different kit? I was under the impression that @jim.snowdon of this parish had a hand in the design, but I might be wrong.

Jon

• Agree 2

I don't remember it as a particularly difficult build, but still have a box full of the white metal brake gear. It might have been my decision to use Walsall.wheels, but there seemed to be insufficient space to achieve the necessary clearance. It was intended for a large continuous layout that ran through walls and made the most of the attic space. Reliable running was paramount. Perhaps one day I will get round to casting some resin replacement shoes if only on the tender.

On 10/11/2022 at 13:57, doilum said:

I did check the instructions ( is anyone else a seriel instructions hoarder?) and discovered that the kit may have originated with the Carriage and Wagon Works circa 1990. They start with a warning that this kit might not be for the novice builder and carry a signature of J Mc.........?.

That would be the kit whose quality (!) inspired a small group of our club members to do something better, the result being the Snowhill (now Roxey) kits that I designed. I like to think that I succeeded in that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the Roxey WD 2-8-0.I need a bit of help on the tender chassis.I`m trying to identify the brake cylinder casting and the pull rods which attach to the brake shaft.Here`s a couple of pics on progress so far.

Ray.

20221206_235230.jpg

20221206_235243.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Todays progress on the WD tender.I`m getting to the stage of using my GW rivet embosser.I take it that i emboss the rivets after locating the half etched dimples and embossing from the back,would i be correct in this?.

Ray

20221223_235427.jpg

20221223_235508.jpg

That is the usual method. Not sure about the GW tool (I once considered purchasing one but the setting up time seemed excessive for my particular needs / I already had two) but the kit designer usually provides a half etched hole to locate the point of the river tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of little jobs on this build.Handrails made and fitted and the tender ladder made but still on the jig.I prefer nickel silver wire for these jobs,it's stiffer and takes solder better. .More soon.

Ray.

Tank top.jpg

Tender front.jpg

Ladder.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

A roundup of work so far on the tender.Why is it that no matter how I hold parts in alignment, they are always out of alignment after soldering, ie,the tender side sheet.As you can see, I can fill the gap with solder.Ah,the trials of kit builders.

Ray.

20230118_154029.jpg

20230118_154111.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted much about the tender build for a while but it's still progressing. The axle boxes and horn guides nearly caught me out, the axle boxes had to sit on the top of the guides, I didn't realise that until I'd epoxied the first box but a hot iron soon sorted that out!.

Ray

Tender axleboxes.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Still busy ,for some reason,although i`m retired,i don`t know how i found the time to go to work.However,one side fitted with axle boxes,spring hangers and equalisising beams etc.I had to epoxy these parts,my 100w iron couldn`t handle the acres of brass.Plenty of castings to fettle and fit,now onto the other side.

ray

axlwboxes.jpg

• Like 3

A quick tip. If you have access to some.curved track and a point, now is a good time to see how it behaves. 8.wheel tenders sometimes need a little controlled side play to tackle sub 60" curves. A dc controller with an led overload warning will identify potential short circuits as the tender changes direction over the point. Sorry if this is teaching how to suck eggs.