Which painting technique (if any?)

Hi guys, I've got a scrap of plasticard I've been testing a couple of paint colours/techniques on, that I will use for a retaining wall/tunnel portal I'm making. It's the first time I've used this material, and scratchbuilt something, and dry brushed a wall, and used a sponge. As it's so far off-piste for me I'm not sure I'm heading in the right direction. I've had in mind all the usual tips (don't overdue it etc), but I'm normally found lacking in the creativity/art department and this is no different. So far, I've primed with grey, then done a grey all over, then split in half. I did one half dry brushing with a few different greys, and one with dabbing a sponge gently, using the same colours. Whether it's because of light or something else I'm not sure which had the better outcome, so firstly I'm looking for an opinion on that, I flit between the top one looks good as a rain washed type of effect, and the bottom one looks better from the stones being less uniform. Second, if I should add more to it or if what I have is enough (it's not based on anywhere specific). Third, I think (though happy to be corrected), that how it currently is will need some kind of extra step to address mortar. I had thought some kind of beige wash, but I'm not sure, I don't want it to stand out too much.

I've added a few pictures below to show what I have so far. Please feel free to add any critique, as I said I'm happy to follow instructions or put a kit together but visualising things and coming up with a paint scheme for a wall with nothing to guide me isn't my strong point.

Many thanks

IMG_20221108_193543945IMG_20221109_111714606IMG_20221108_193535688

• RMweb Premium

I'm not too sure about the main colour tbh which seems very dark but for me the bottom one looks better as there is a more blended appearance. It is relatively rare to get harsh contrasts in real life as weathering fading etc tends to mute things.

We all see things differently though and I'm at the "impressionist" end of things.

I'm sure those that like every detail modelled even if way out of scale would want to see separate stones and mortar! There probably isnt a straightforward anwer to this one.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I'm sure this is partly me procrastinating, and I'm making more out of it than I need to. I could go either way and once on to the next job forget all about this deliberating.

I'm not sure what happened with the greys, I'm only using what I have to hand, rather than buying something specific but it's still several pots. With a couple of them after applying I couldn't see any difference, which may be a comment on my eyesight as much as anything. Thanks for the comment on it jumping to a bit dark, I think that's partly caused by losing some of what I thought would be intermediate colour steps. What I might do is use the other spare bit currently masked for a final go, and mix that darker colour with the light to see if I can find something a bit closer together. I think I'll go with the bottom approach, I can always do a bit of dry brush alter on (and the sponge is more fun!). Will be back with the results...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You need to get some colour in there. I would suggest painting the base as a light-medium buff colour then use washes of green, brown and black and streak them downwards to create variation, these washes should be thin and low in pigment to build up the effect gradually then a VERY light drybrushing with the original base colour. There are commercial washes or you can create your own.