Falkirk Model Railway Exhibition 2022

turbos

• RMweb Premium

Well done on a great show . Just returned home after a 60 mile round trip to see the exhibition . Well worth it . I missed Model Rail Scotland this year through Covid and missed Perth because of holidays , and so attend local shows Troon,Greenock, Cathcart.  The trouble with the Scottish circuit is you tend to see the same layouts over and over , so I didn’t have high expectations for this exhibition . However I was pleasantly surprised not just in the variety of layouts but of the quality. And there was something to be seen running all the time . So a big vote of thanks to organisers and exhibitors. Time flew and I’d spent 2 hours there before I knew it .

Surprisingly, given I model OO, it was N gauge and O gauge that drew most of my attention . Yorkshire Pennines in N had a very interesting track layout and was computer controlled . It was fascinating watching all the trains move off  and do their circuits , almost like a model rail ballet !  Elgin was being operated really well and was another fascinating layout . Not often you see such intensive shunting in N .  Lastly Falcon Road with its procession of locos entering and leaving depot was superb . A lot of detail on the layout , but it was just very relaxing watching the locos come and go . I like to see trains so loco depot or MPD layouts don’t usually do it for me , but this was very done . There was always something to see , in fact several trains moving at one time. 

Good selection of traders , but the prices! Even second hand was priced a bit high I thought , although there were some reasonably priced items if you went looking .

So if like me. You do the Scottish round and are in two minds, because it’ll be the same layouts, certainly give this exhibition a go . You will be very pleasantly surprised . A very good exhibition indeed ! 

Edited by Legend
Repitition
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I went today and agree with Legend that it was a great show, with several layouts that I'd not seen before.  The layouts were a good mixture of scale and location, with excellent modelling, and the various O gauge layouts, some quite small, kept drawing me back.  The traders included some newcomers - perhaps as methods such as 3D printing become more widespread, exhibitions are a way for newer traders to gain greater exposure?  

I'm less sure about the new venue, although since the old one has been demolished there's no going back.  The sports stadium is austere and while having the exhibition in a single hall is a bonus, the lighting is not good.  Parking was similar to before - the main official car park was full and the recent rainfall meant that some other options were accessible only through  mud or large puddles of indeterminate depth.  I found a space on a side road,  The big downside for me was the catering. The official cafe seemed to offer little and hot food meant queuing outside for a hot dog van.  Thankfully it was dry and not too cold. (The weather, not the food, which was good)  I understand the club had no say over the catering, but it's a big comedown from the pie and chips on offer in the canteen at Forth Valley College in previous  years.

Anyway, congratulations and  thanks to Falkirk MRC for an excellent show, especially after the covid cancellations and the forced change to a new venue.

Edited by MikeB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Had a good first day exhibiting my O gauge layout "Glasshouse Loan" under the banner of my club, the invite being rolled over from the cancelled 2020 and 2021 shows!

As a long time exhibitor (and former member) at Falkirk MRC who's memory stretches back to being taken as a kid to their exhibitions in the old Drill hall at the top of Cow Wynd in the town centre I had harboured some doubts to myself about the new location beforehand mainly with the location being not that accessible by public transport however top marks to the organaising team for the bus service from Falkirk down to the stadium, the queue at opening time put my doubts to bed and the influx every time the bus arrived seemed to show that it was well used.

The catering was never going to be as good as the big college canteen of old but the standard of food from the van outside was decent enough.

I thought there was a good mix of layouts, both in scale and subject, there was decent trade support too which I'll be having a better look at tomorrow.

Hopefully we'll see some more of you there tomorrow!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Another good day at the show, Glasshouse Loan packed up and out of the hall in under an an hour and 15 minutes later I was parked up in the drive.

Thanks to Malc, Joe, Dougie and the rest of Falkirk MRC for putting on another good show👏👏👏

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

OK - Show over, all packed up, now at home getting some food down me!

NGS -Forth & Clyde would like to thank Malcolm and the Falkirk orgainising team for a great exhibition.

We were so busy on our stand that I hardly got any modelling done myself - some others of the team did though!

So, that's our exhibition cycle for 2022 completed!

However, we have one other event to go for!

We have a 'Skills Day' at Knightly Gaming, 2 Hopetown Street, Bathgate on Saturday 17th December 2022.

But, to get back to the show!

Great time, loads of compliments, loads of visitors - loads of layouts, loads of traders - In short?

Can we have more shows like this please?

Phil H

Edited by Scottish Modeller
  • Like 4