My journey in TT:120 begins

gc4946

On 03/12/2022 at 15:36, rekoboy said:

Continuing the topic of the freedom that TT 1:120 grants you in a typical UK location (traditional semi-detached!) here are further photos of my layout, Kirchheim. My two 'musts' for a layout are decent-length freight trains and plenty of opportunity for shunting - and these wishes have been easily realised with the choice of TT 1:120. Additionally, I have managed to include at the back of the layout loops and dead-end sidings (with track-circuits, no less) so there is ample opportunity, if I have time, for operating fun, especially as the goods sidings were designed as a form of time-saver for shunting puzzles.

You might have answered this elsewhere, but as someone who is attracted to TT-120 do the standard couplers work well in a shunting senario?

The older pattern Tillig couplers as used still by Piko are OK, best lifted with a flat stick from below, although some prefer to use a magnet uncoupler from above. The newer Tillig/Kuehn couplings which Hornby appears to have chosen work well but can be tricky to disengage if your eyesight is dodgy! They are best lifted from below.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Personally, I've got all excited about British TT:120 (I can't wait 'til it becomes just 'TT'!) because as a British expat living in France for the last 20 years, near Geneva, and being as much a collector as a modeller (the odd diorama but mostly display of fully detailed-up locos on weathered track in various parts of the apartment) I've acquired quite the collection of French and Swiss HO and N but have missed certain rolling stock from the Sectorisation era in the UK. I have dabbled in some British OO and N but, as I'll quite happily mix HO/N/French/Swiss in one display, I just couldn't get past the aspect of a MK3, for instance, being the same size as UIC Z coaching stock in HO and somehow looking like it was on tip-toes. 

I'm going to love finally being able to get correctly-proportioned UK stock, albeit in yet another scale to what I currently have, and display it proudly alongside its Continental neighbours. 

Goes to show - we all go for different things. I'm really not bothered about traditional layouts. In theory I could have the odd O scale item (tho I've read that's not totally accurate scale-wise - is that true?), but my appartment isn't THAT big :). 

My mouth is watering at the thought of a few class 37s in IC Mainline, Regional Railways, etc. liveries (I guess I'm going to have to be patient for all of that to come through the pipeline but that gives the wallet time to fill/empty/recover...).

Whatever Hornby's 'reasonings/justifications' for moving into TT (I really don't care, they're a manufacturer out to make profit - we live in a capitalist society, they're not doing this altruistically for our modelling pleasure), it (selfishly perhaps) suits me and I hope it goes from strength to strength (and that the other manufacturers jump onboard to maintain competition and choice).

My reasonings may be simplistic but I'm happy with this new development. :)

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

At long last!

My final Tillig track order arrived this morning from Germany. There's now enough to make up a second parallel circuit with points.

I sourced them from three German suppliers plus Golden Valley Hobbies.

According to tracking, the Quonset 3D prints left USA yesterday. I may still receive them in time for Xmas.

GEDC1097.JPG

Edited by gc4946
spelling
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The first of Hornby's Scotsman sets arrived to their lucky recipients today

but my preordered Hornby models, a blue class 08, three TTA tanks and three Mk2 air-cons, won't be in my hands until next year.

This'll give me time to make progress on the layout ready for Hornby's arrivals.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2022 at 07:46, Michanglais said:

Personally, I've got all excited about British TT:120 (I can't wait 'til it becomes just 'TT'!) because as a British expat living in France for the last 20 years, near Geneva, and being as much a collector as a modeller (the odd diorama but mostly display of fully detailed-up locos on weathered track in various parts of the apartment) I've acquired quite the collection of French and Swiss HO and N but have missed certain rolling stock from the Sectorisation era in the UK. I have dabbled in some British OO and N but, as I'll quite happily mix HO/N/French/Swiss in one display, I just couldn't get past the aspect of a MK3, for instance, being the same size as UIC Z coaching stock in HO and somehow looking like it was on tip-toes. 

I'm going to love finally being able to get correctly-proportioned UK stock, albeit in yet another scale to what I currently have, and display it proudly alongside its Continental neighbours. 

Goes to show - we all go for different things. I'm really not bothered about traditional layouts. In theory I could have the odd O scale item (tho I've read that's not totally accurate scale-wise - is that true?), but my appartment isn't THAT big :). 

My mouth is watering at the thought of a few class 37s in IC Mainline, Regional Railways, etc. liveries (I guess I'm going to have to be patient for all of that to come through the pipeline but that gives the wallet time to fill/empty/recover...).

Whatever Hornby's 'reasonings/justifications' for moving into TT (I really don't care, they're a manufacturer out to make profit - we live in a capitalist society, they're not doing this altruistically for our modelling pleasure), it (selfishly perhaps) suits me and I hope it goes from strength to strength (and that the other manufacturers jump onboard to maintain competition and choice).

My reasonings may be simplistic but I'm happy with this new development. :)

I'm curious to find out how Hornby will tackle the 37s and 47s, because they've never released OO superdetailed versions similar to Bachmann's or Heljan's renditions. 

I hope Hornby will produce a large logo 47, that'll bring loads of memories back for me!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon my Quonset (based on Nissen huts) buildings arrived by courier from the USA.

They're produced by ModelSceneryWorld and are one-piece 3D printed structures without glazing.

Dimensions of buildings:

Large hut: 100 mm long x 100 mm wide x 49 mm high

Small hut without windows:  64 mm long x 64 mm wide x 32 mm high

Small hut with windows and door: 64 mm long x 70 mm wide x 32 mm high

GEDC1098.JPG

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

During the last few days my secondhand Berliner TT Bahn wagons arrived to supplement the three Tillig blue Polish Railways (PKP) wagons supplied in the starter set.

The BTTB wagons have the earlier hook and loop couplings, I may equip at least one of my Tillig locos with the older style but I don't know the part number.

Interestingly the Tillig PKP covered van uses the same underframe as the three long wheelbase BTTB vans except for the couplings.

GEDC1102.JPG

GEDC1103.JPG

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 3

On 22/12/2022 at 19:55, gc4946 said:

Interestingly the Tillig PKP covered van uses the same underframe as the three long wheelbase BTTB vans except for the couplings.

That explains why they're a relatively cheap model then!  It got me to looking up the prototype, Hbis-tt 293.  They were rebuilds of older vans, albeit a West German type - see https://gueterwagenkatalog.dbcargo.com/katalog/nach-gattung/h-gedeckte-grossraeumige-schiebewandwagen/Hbis-tt-293-5839870

Edited by Taigatrommel

• RMweb Premium

Work's progressing on the first set of modules, some of the roads.

Each section is first painted in Tamiya earth brown, then Tamiya neutral grey applied to the pavements and finally Revell 47 matt grey for the roads. 

Road markings are handpainted with Humbrol white enamel.

The areas around and between the roads and pavements, including unpainted styrene patches, will be covered with Gaugemaster/Noch grass matting.

GEDC1104.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCB said:

With Hornby couplings,  if you drive straight over a raised uncoupling ramp, does uncoupling occur, or do you have to stop then back up?

I'd guess the pressure on the coupling from being pulled will prevent it being raised to uncouple. You would need to have little / no tension for them to work.

On 22/12/2022 at 13:55, gc4946 said:

During the last few days my secondhand Berliner TT Bahn wagons arrived to supplement the three Tillig blue Polish Railways (PKP) wagons supplied in the starter set.

The BTTB wagons have the earlier hook and loop couplings, I may equip at least one of my Tillig locos with the older style but I don't know the part number.

GEDC1102.JPG

GEDC1103.JPG

FYI Peho makes NEM close coupling mounts for upgrading old BTTB stock that look to be pretty straightforward conversions if you want to upgrade them.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Final thing tonight ...

The strip of road with pavements is now complete, the brown areas at both ends is where the track will be laid down.

Next areas to tackle are the modules with the Quonset/Nissen huts.

Again I'm completing the greenery and paving first, the buildings will take longer.

GEDC1105.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BRTrainz said:

FYI Peho makes NEM close coupling mounts for upgrading old BTTB stock that look to be pretty straightforward conversions if you want to upgrade them.

I use Peho conversion kits - they work well, but can involve a large amount on surgery on the vehicle in question, especially on BTTB passenger carriages. Their use is not without problems for the inexperienced modeller. I shall add a section on Peho close-coupler mounts in the near future. The simplest solution for modellers who have older BTTB or Tillig coupler mounts (with the spring loaded slot) is to buy a pack of modern Tillig or Kuehn couplings for the slot fixing, i.e not those for the NEM pocket ones. That solution is quick, easy and results in no alteration or unwanted damage!

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, rekoboy said:

I use Peho conversion kits - they work well, but can involve a large amount on surgery on the vehicle in question, especially on BTTB passenger carriages. Their use is not without problems for the inexperienced modeller. I shall add a section on Peho close-coupler mounts in the near future. The simplest solution for modellers who have older BTTB or Tillig coupler mounts (with the spring loaded slot) is to buy a pack of modern Tillig or Kuehn couplings for the slot fixing, i.e not those for the NEM pocket ones. That solution is quick, easy and results in no alteration or unwanted damage!

Are they the Tillig part nos. 08847, 08848?

https://www.tillig.com/eng/Produkte/produktinfo-08847.html

https://www.tillig.com/eng/Produkte/produktinfo-08848.html

if that's so it'll make the job converting my BTTB wagons much easier

Edited by gc4946
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, rekoboy said:

I thought most 2-axle wagons were pretty much just trim away the old mount and super glue the new one in place (after checking height, etc. of course)?

Haven't looked much into converting anything else.

• RMweb Premium

I'm almost on the point of preordering a Hornby A3. 

It'll be their 60078 Night Hawk https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-class-a3-4-6-2-60078-night-hawk-era-4-tt3005m

At some point it'll be renumbered and renamed as 60108 Gay Crusader, as per my GC ID but Fox Transfers haven't released any 1:120 scale transfers (decals) or nameplates yet.

The Hornby model is correct for its loco and tender combination but I daren't postpone my purchase much longer in case the batch production gets snapped up

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rekoboy said:

The coupler box needs to be removed with a Dremel attachment and/or a chisel craftknife blade and the chassis carefully smoothed - no problem for an experienced modeller, but maybe quite difficult for a novice.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gc4946 said:

I'm almost on the point of preordering a Hornby A3. 

It'll be their 60078 Night Hawk https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-class-a3-4-6-2-60078-night-hawk-era-4-tt3005m

At some point it'll be renumbered and renamed as 60108 Gay Crusader, as per my GC ID but Fox Transfers haven't released any 1:120 scale transfers (decals) or nameplates yet.

The Hornby model is correct for its loco and tender combination but I daren't postpone my purchase much longer in case the batch production gets snapped up

Now preordered A3 60078 Night Hawk, two maroon Mk1s (CK, BSK) and LNER Toad brake van in BR livery 

• Like 4