My journey in TT:120 begins

gc4946

On 27/12/2022 at 20:43, gc4946 said:

I'm almost on the point of preordering a Hornby A3. 

It'll be their 60078 Night Hawk https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-class-a3-4-6-2-60078-night-hawk-era-4-tt3005m

At some point it'll be renumbered and renamed as 60108 Gay Crusader, as per my GC ID but Fox Transfers haven't released any 1:120 scale transfers (decals) or nameplates yet.

The Hornby model is correct for its loco and tender combination but I daren't postpone my purchase much longer in case the batch production gets snapped up

I'm waiting for WILLIAM WHITELAW to arrive. At that point I'll check its cabside numbers against all of the transfers I have in stock to see if any of the existing ranges are the appropriate size (largest N-gauge and smallest OO gauge).

I'm after an A3 with blinkers and a GN tender to do Lemberg (guess who was asked by the then Dapol Dave which late crest blinkered A3 they should do first.....)

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Once I have my A3 pacific and rolling stock in my hands I'll also check my stocks of transfers.

I just hope someone will produce suitable etched or paper self-adhesive nameplates for those who want to change their loco's IDs.

I've only preordered 2 maroon Mk1s because Hornby will release Gresley composites and brake 3rds during phases 3 or 4 (see page 22 of brochure)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

Once I have my A3 pacific and rolling stock in my hands I'll also check my stocks of transfers.

I just hope someone will produce suitable etched or paper self-adhesive nameplates for those who want to change their loco's IDs.

I've only preordered 2 maroon Mk1s because Hornby will release Gresley composites and brake 3rds during phases 3 or 4 (see page 22 of brochure)

Yes, very much looking forward to the Gresley carriages, a more typical train for any of the Gresley pacifics I would have thought (but I am an LMS bod so I'm just guessing!).

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, andrewshimmin said:

Yes, very much looking forward to the Gresley carriages, a more typical train for any of the Gresley pacifics I would have thought (but I am an LMS bod so I'm just guessing!).

Gresley's pacifics often hauled ex-LMS stock on Liverpool-Newcastle services between Leeds and Newcastle.

There's two photos of Stanier carriages behind Gresley's pacifics in Martin Bairstow's Railways around Harrogate, volume 1 (published by the author, 1986):

Page 25: A3 60036 Colombo hauling southbound express (Newcastle-Liverpool?) with rake of Stanier crimson/cream carriages through Melmerby north of Ripon sometime in the early 50s

Page 59: A4 60032 Gannet hauling Newcastle-Llandudno service through Wetherby 3rd August 1963

Edited by gc4946
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Another milestone completed.

All unpainted styrene covered and/or painted over except for the areas where the Nissen huts stand.

I haven't added scenics in all corners yet, because I want to lay extra track either to create a double track or single track oval with passing loop and sidings, which I have available track to hand.

And a second photo with a DB freight train and road vehicles added

GEDC1108.JPG

GEDC1109.JPG

Edited by gc4946
Added extra photo
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

On 28/12/2022 at 22:40, Les1952 said:

I'm waiting for WILLIAM WHITELAW to arrive. At that point I'll check its cabside numbers against all of the transfers I have in stock to see if any of the existing ranges are the appropriate size (largest N-gauge and smallest OO gauge).

I'm after an A3 with blinkers and a GN tender to do Lemberg (guess who was asked by the then Dapol Dave which late crest blinkered A3 they should do first.....)

Les

Hi Les,

Back in October I got in touch with 247 Developments asking about replacement etched name plates and got the follow reply:

"Hi Luke

Next year wi will be looking in to Doing a range of plates for the new Hornby TT120 locos

Get back in touch then"

Also RailTec Models already offers a custom loco decal pack for TT120 at £6.90

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=5500

Luke

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

Hi Les,

Back in October I got in touch with 247 Developments asking about replacement etched name plates and got the follow reply:

"Hi Luke

Next year wi will be looking in to Doing a range of plates for the new Hornby TT120 locos

Get back in touch then"

Luke

Very welcome news I'll order decals and plates for 60108 Gay Crusader when available

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I was back at work after my Xmas and New Year break, that's why I was able to reach the state of progress that I'm in regarding the layout.

My next task will be finishing off the Nissen huts.

Hopefully this month or next my Hornby A3 pacific and its pair of Mk1 carriages will arrive. They'll be thoroughly track tested.

No name has yet been decided for this layout, however I may go for a dual identity depending on whether I run German or British stock.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tonight I rediscovered two sets of N scale etched nameplates and smokebox plates for 60108 Gay Crusader and 70002 Geoffrey Chaucer which I intended to fit to N scale locos but never got round to doing the work.

Instead, they'll grace TT:120 purchases.

GEDC1118.JPG

• Like 2

On 02/01/2023 at 18:15, luke_stevens said:

Hi Les,

"Hi Luke

Next year will be looking in to doing a range of plates for the new Hornby TT120 locos

Get back in touch then"

Luke

Unfortunately it is not good. I saw that on the 247 Development website they make reference to "3mm(TT)" so I e-mailed to ask what scale they are to. Below is the answer.

Luke

From: orders.247developments <orders.247developments@btinternet.com>
Sent: 20 January 2023 14:20
To: Luke Stevens <luke_stevens@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: A4 nameplate commission question in TT120

Hi Luke
the stock plates we have are 3mm scale plates

Regards

247 Developments

------ Original Message ------
To: "orders.247developments" <orders.247developments@btinternet.com>
Sent: Friday, 20 Jan, 23 At 13:24
Subject: Re: A4 nameplate commission question in TT120

Hi Brian,

I see from your website that you are now mentioning the plates in TT120.

If I could have a copy of the list that would be most appreciated.

I am slightly puzzled. The website says "3mm Scale (TT) plates" but these are not the same thing. 

3mm is British TT3 at 1:101 whereas TT is global at 2.54mm and 1:120.

To which scale are your plates?

Thanks,

Luke

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Based on what I know of Hornby's plans for locos and rolling stock, it's hard to assess which area of the country I want to model yet.

I could base my operations in Yorkshire on the ex-Leeds Northern line via Harrogate because the Gresley pacifics, class 37 and Black 5 worked on that line and more recently in the last 25 years or so HSTs (due spring) and top and tailed Arriva liveried Mk2fs (albeit needing repainting)  with EWS 37s (planned by Hornby) worked peak hour Leeds-Knaresborough trains in addition to their Leeds-Carlisle service during 2003-2004.

On the other hand, the ex-Great Central London extension pre-takeover by London Midland Region is another possibility, especially with ex-GWR carriages.

Nothing's ruled out yet and I hope Hornby announce Southern Region stock in due course.

Edited by gc4946
corrections
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I consulted Hornby's TT:120 members only webpages.

The next three months may see Gresley pacifics, maroon Mk1s, ex-LMS Stanier carriages in BR crimson/cream and maroon (NB no LMS liveried ones listed), and various era 2,3, and 4 wagons appear for sale.

With my A3 pacific, and stock expected on stream for the next few months, for a very vague representation of the Leeds Northern and/or Wetherby lines, I could run a through Kings Cross-Harrogate train using Mk1s, a Newcastle-Liverpool express with Stanier stock and the beginnings of a class C express Darlington-Neville Hill (Leeds) fitted freight. 

Sources:

Railways around Harrogate / Martin Bairstow

Volume 1 (1986), ISBN 1-871944-00-7; volume 3 (1998), ISBN 978-1-871944-18-1 published by the author

Harrogate & Wetherby / Stephen Chapman. Bellcode Books, 2011 (Railway memories; no. 24) ISBN 978-1-871233-24-7

Edited by gc4946
added reference sources
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've decided to use Kato's 24-818 terminal Unijoiners rather than Tillig's own version. It means I can plug them into my pair of Kato controllers.

Recently I bought a sheet of Evergreen 20 thou (0.5 mm) thick car siding to evaluate representing 2.5 mm scale corrugated iron because I'll need several sheets to complete my Nissen huts - the 3D printed lines on them run horizontally rather than vertically.

GEDC1127.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2023 at 21:09, gc4946 said:

My order for A3 60078 Night Hawk is being processed and payment taken.

Should arrive very soon, it'll be my first Hornby TT:120 product!

It should arrive for collection from a DPD agent on Monday.

If running and appearance quality are acceptable, I'm not ruling out buying an A4 in British Railways livery to keep it company.

However, I can't see myself owning more than two Gresley pacifics because Hornby may announce new additions in future phases beyond phase 4 which may appeal to me more. 

Photo from Stephen Chapman's book "Harrogate & Wetherby" (Bellcode Books, 2011) page 77, showing an A4 near Horsforth 

GEDC1137.JPG

Edited by gc4946
added prototype information and photo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I collected my Hornby A3 60078 Night Hawk from the DPD agent.

It's now being run in on the layout, initially without load, for 15 minutes each way forwards and backwards, then lifting the loco around to repeat the process.

The loco has a bit more presence than an N gauge version, with relatively fine valve gear.

It's running relatively quietly and after reading of reports of tender wheels being stiff, mine all rotate OK.

Two Mk1 maroon carriages (CK, BSK) which I preordered arrived in Hornby's warehouse but payment not taken yet.

Ownership of an A4 isn't ruled out!

GEDC1138.JPG

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ordered Easterner set because for not much more than the TT Club discounted price of my A3 (£124.09), I get an A4, 3 Mk1s, track and accessories for £165.32 (standard postage)

It's now the only way to acquire a non-digital fitted A4 loco from Hornby.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gc4946 said:

Ordered Easterner set because for not much more than the TT Club discounted price of my A3 (£124.09), I get an A4, 3 Mk1s, track and accessories for £165.32 (standard postage)

It's now the only way to acquire a non-digital fitted A4 loco from Hornby.

This afternoon Hornby made more non-digital fitted A4s available online, but nevertheless I'm happy owning a pair of Gresley pacifics in BR lined green, A3 with early crest, and to be delivered, an A4 with late crest, covering the BR period, 1956-1958.

Also five maroon Mk1s (3 x CKs, 2 x BSKs) plus plain maroon ex-LMS Stanier 50' BG once all delivered.

Future plans will involve purchasing ex-Big 4 carriages in crimson and cream, plus wagons.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you cannot justify a full Pullman formation, empty cars were often attached to passenger trains (identity of car not given)

Photo taken at Pendas Way station near road of same name in Cross Gates, Leeds on closed Cross Gates-Wetherby line. I guess a Pullman was defective at Harrogate or an extra carriage needing to be added to a service from there.

Source: Railways around Harrogate, volume 3 by Martin Bairstow (published by author, 1988)

GEDC1143.JPG

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My Easterner train set arrived this afternoon, number 698 of 888.

I've tested the A4 loco on a short piece of track, but will give it a full runout in a few days time, so far it's promising.

However I'll hang onto Hornby's track and accessories even though I use Tillig pre-ballasted track.

My two outstanding Mk1s (BSK, CK) are expected tomorrow.

GEDC1144.JPG

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 4