7mm 2ft gauge (14mm) Kerr Stuart Tattoo

As a drawing exercise ( primarily) I've been drawing up a Tattoo from the original class GA's. I've made slight updates to make it Stanhope specifically, and I've got boiler and tank done thus far.

Printed In Eono Engineering Like Resin at 10 microns, it takes a while to print, but the results are good. The speckling is grey primer. The machine is a Mars 2 Pro.

2022-11-18_01-39-27

2022-11-18_01-40-31

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

The pony truck has been a concern..... the real thing is a Bissell truck pivoted under the front of the Ashland. This of course interferes with any motor/gearbox solution  - motor being in the firebox.  The solution is to use a radial truck I think........

Cab c

• 2 weeks later...
2022-12-12_06-04-39

I'm having an extremely hard time with this post-Covid issue at the moment, but one of the few things I'm able to do is draw and light modelling. I've been working on the high boiler (original height) version, and printed off a modified cab, boiler unit and a newly drawn back with buffer beam.

Shown above is the reverser in situ.

2022-12-12_06-06-20

You can see how slim the back sheet is. The platework is 0.5mm, plus angle. Extremely thin for a print of that size

2022-12-12_06-07-09

The detail and surface has come out very well - it hasn't been cleaned up in any way - although the reverse side has had all the support marks filed off.

I consider this a reasonably fine model, to be handled as such. It is strong enough and resilient enough by that criteria, but not resilient enough for 'toy' type handling. Indeed I've already accidently dropped both these components accidentally without damage.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you! It's a learning curve I'm very much enjoying, and I have been stunned as to how well an affordable machine can perform (I have a Mars 2 Pro).

I think you define it rather well. Modern Modelling sums it up quite well I think. A printer is just another extremely versatile machine tool. Two years ago I was struggling to draw an accurate cube in 3D. It's great that one is able to learn and progress.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with the steep learning curve. I have an FDM printer and like you a simple item to start took ages. So far the most practical item I have made is a trolley coin. However like you I am slowly(very) getting to grips with design spark. Once I have it mastered I will then look at getting a resin printer. I have toyed with doing models of the various FR England engines.

Keith

Most of the drawing for printing is done now - it's certainly been a couple of hundred hours or more, with variations and modifications. There are still a few small things to be done.

This is for an 0-14 (outside frame) version. when the gauge got bigger,  the loco got inside frames, so I shall need to make versions for that as well.

Why?

Paul of EDM models is kindly looking at producing these for sale. Wrightlines produced the Corris/Talyllyn version with the dropped footplate, but that's not been available for some time, so this original type may be welcome.

(Also to be produced are the working wooden tipper wagons in 4mm and 7mm)

Capture 16 High Boiler

Capture 17

Capture 19

Capture 20

4mm (009) working side tippers

009 working tipper wagon

7mm working wooden side tippers

2022-10-23_06-30-10

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new cab back in place, but not fixed....... also the battery is stuffed in the boiler, and I'm trying to get my head round the wiring. I'm not sure whether these cylindrical batteries have built in protection circuitry (it's not visible If they do) - so I've got separate little boards to protect against over charging and discharge,  which fit in the bunker. Should the battery really need replacing, it can be withdrawn through the hole in the cab back sheet (So long as it hasn't swollen....)

20230122_175608

20230122_175615

20230122_175623

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

So far so good on the new battery!

I've now completed (I think!) the plumbing - injector for the fireman's side, and axle driven punp for the driver's side (plumbing, not the actual pump - there are things in the way....)

I  think I'm really down to the valve gear now, and waiting for the postman for various bits to do that, as I do have a cunning plan. Nameplates and builders plates orderd from the usual suspects.

Meanwhilst it still looks like this

2023-01-28_06-54-43

Edited by Giles
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...