Loft layout in 4mm

EasternO

• RMweb Gold

Bin drawing!

1967658610_220324Original.jpg.a09f08caddf35b73991a6debf111a329.jpg

This is your last design (almost).  I've replaced the double junction into the alcove with single leads to avoid the slips.  It leaves the centre of the room free and just about achieves the lengths you wanted (The alcove site being the limiting factor).

1851042661_220324MinoriesTop.jpg.ed7a11069951a9e5001dd444017910a7.jpg

And this is with the Minories station right across the top and the yard moved to the side 'wall'.  I've pushed the continuous run into the alcove a bit - the blue shows where it would be if it didn't.  If you reduced the curve radius from 2'6" to 2' you would get it a bit further into the corner.  You'll notice that I like curved points!  They help get pointwork on the curve to maximise the length of straight for platforms, blue shows the same layout with medium straight points.   I've designed a loco spur into each station so that you could move onto a loco hauled set later if you wanted.

794689211_220324MinoriesSide.jpg.d4f3d18bb5bdf1dbd9a3ae5dbf86a632.jpg

And this is with the yard in the alcove.  You can see how it limits the length of straight track - I think it might be just too small to put a new loco on 3x Mk1 coaches but 3x vans (GUV/BG) would work as they are slightly shorter.  The blue show the impact of using medium straight points - you lose 25 cm of platform.

Personally, I like plan 2 best, but its not my trainset!  Between the 3 it's to give you an idea of what is possible and the impacts on track lengths.

I'll add some automation thoughts at some point.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

6 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Bin drawing!

Indeed! Fabulous work. That would have taken me a month to do.

I'm torn between 1 and 2, although the number of turnouts in 3 makes my mouth water and my wallet shiver!

I shall mull over these plans for a day or two, but thank you again! Fabulous work.

• 4 months later...

A lot of things have happened since my last post. I have moved into a flat so I don't have a loft anymore. I'll probably start a new post but I have a 3m length and up to 35cm depth. I'm also on a much more restricted budget so I'm looking to use the items I have already, which are Peco SL86X curved right hand, SL87X curved left hand and SL98X large Y points plus several lengths of flexi.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I downloaded Anyrail to see what I could come up with using the track already I own. This is the best I could do. It's not quite doing it for me but the positive is that all the points are on the centre board. I plan on making 3x 1m boards or buying some floating shelving.

The basic aim is still the same, to learn automation. Each length of track will be electrically split into two sections and each point. I'll eventually use a spare Raspberry Pi I have to shuffle trains from one siding to another.

Screenshot (3).png

I would be very happy indeed if somebody could come up with a better design or more interesting design. I may be able to stretch to one more point, or if I could find one cheap enough, a double slip.

Edited by EasternO

• RMweb Premium

With the exception of the top (in the plan) left track, which I had as a two road sector plate, the plan mimics my first O gauge layout in a similar space. See my Puzzel Yard thread.

I worked it as a (very) large shunting puzzle with around 20 wagons and 2 locos - remember that you'll need two as well.

It kept me amused for hours (and hours). Its only downside was that I couldn't leave it erected all the time - the afore mentioned thread will show why.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, EasternO said:

I downloaded Anyrail to see what I could come up with using the track already I own. This is the best I could do. It's not quite doing it for me but the positive is that all the points are on the centre board. I plan on making 3x 1m boards or buying some floating shelving.

The basic aim is still the same, to learn automation. Each length of track will be electrically split into two sections and each point. I'll eventually use a spare Raspberry Pi I have to shuffle trains from one siding to another.

Screenshot (3).png

I would be very happy indeed if somebody could come up with a better design or more interesting design. I may be able to stretch to one more point, or if I could find one cheap enough, a double slip.

It’s a good idea to learn automation on a simple layout. I did similar to learn iTrain. My layout was a simple oval, with a passing loop and a couple of sidings. Now I’m building a larger layout in a dedicated room (5m x 2.3m).

My only suggestion re your track plan would be for a run round loop if it can be fitted in. It would add operational interest and a dimension to your automation trials.

Ian

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ray H said:

With the exception of the top (in the plan) left track, which I had as a two road sector plate, the plan mimics my first O gauge layout in a similar space. See my Puzzel Yard thread.

I worked it as a (very) large shunting puzzle with around 20 wagons and 2 locos - remember that you'll need two as well.

It kept me amused for hours (and hours). Its only downside was that I couldn't leave it erected all the time - the afore mentioned thread will show why.

Thanks Ray, I read through your thread. Very interesting. I started in O but thought I didn't have space. I have almost the same space as you did. I've still got some of my kits so maybe I'll build two layouts for the same shelf eventually.

13 hours ago, ITG said:

It’s a good idea to learn automation on a simple layout. I did similar to learn iTrain. My layout was a simple oval, with a passing loop and a couple of sidings. Now I’m building a larger layout in a dedicated room (5m x 2.3m).

My only suggestion re your track plan would be for a run round loop if it can be fitted in. It would add operational interest and a dimension to your automation trials.

Ian

I think you found what I thought was missing from these long spurs. I played around putting a runaround on different spurs and I think I've found the best one. What do you think?

Screenshot (4).png

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, EasternO said:

I think you found what I thought was missing from these long spurs. I played around putting a runaround on different spurs and I think I've found the best one. What do you think?

Screenshot (4).png

Looks a good option. Only possible added option would be to put a short spur (an extra turnout needed) over on far right, so the upper loop line extends, creating a crossover. That short spur would be useful for shunting a brake van into, or holding a spare loco.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My only comment is that you appear to have had to surrender two terminal sidings for the two tracks that form the run round loop.

I suppose that it depends on your proposed method of operation, minimal shunting, one loco and a few wagons v plenty of shunting, two locos and scope for plenty of wagons.

You've mentioned automation. I'm not sure I can see how you could incorporate that into this design other than for train arriving, running round and then train departing. Even that would require some pretty accurate coupling system yo be fully automatic.

Maybe I'm thinking too deeply.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/08/2023 at 14:54, EasternO said:

A lot of things have happened since my last post. I have moved into a flat so I don't have a loft anymore. I'll probably start a new post but I have a 3m length and up to 35cm depth. I'm also on a much more restricted budget so I'm looking to use the items I have already, which are Peco SL86X curved right hand, SL87X curved left hand and SL98X large Y points plus several lengths of flexi.

Starting a new thread would be a good idea.  The loft layout thread was interesting  and  never really reached a resolution.  Whether or not there is any scope for automating a shunting plank is debatable, 
The problems with automated layouts are at least two fold, the easy one is working out how to make a move happen.   The hard one is working out what  you want your trains to do, consider # ,5BarVT's layouts.  Trains can run terminus to FY or FY to Terminus automatically but shunting means impinging on the main lines so how do you interface the manual operation of shunting with automation while trains are running.  It's easy from a given starting point but introduce a random factor like the position of a train running automatically  and it's massively complicated. 
As is recovering from a power outage, a short or an interruption of the operating session before every thing has returned to the starting point.  My automated layout plan was abandoned due to  the sheer cost of the equipment, The base level was built and has been used as a test track but without automation the concept can't work.   I could finish it but resolving the issue of which train has authority and priority following an unplanned shut down beat me.   It was to allow me to operate the station and yard while the main line and hidden sidings did their own thing automatically, without sufficient room for the three operators really needed for manual operation 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2023 at 13:48, DCB said:

Starting a new thread would be a good idea.  The loft layout thread was interesting  and  never really reached a resolution.  Whether or not there is any scope for automating a shunting plank is debatable,

I was getting quite excited about the automated loft layout. I had the space and the budget. Unfortunately the situation has changed in every respect. I'm still thinking about what I can do on a limited budget, and I'm still looking for any bargains on ebay. I'm thinking a double-slip is now essential for successful train movements

The layout will be built in my bedroom, but right now that room is full of boxes. Before I can do anything I have to unpack and sort stuff out to clear space for the baseboard. I'm looking at incorporating some sort of cassette system on one spur to make it more usable as a 'normal' layout if the need arises.

It will essentially be a puzzle for the computer to solve using rules. For example, each spur will be at least 4 coaches long to allow for two 2-car DMUs or one 4-car. I plan on at least five spurs, which will be wholly or part occupied. The computer will choose a formation and destination and then figure out how to move it there, clearing the space if the destination is occupied and freeing the train if it is trapped.

I'm not worried about sound, but DCC is essential, and I'd like to have a softly illuminated layout so I can run it in the evening while I'm working on other things. Obviously it's not going to be built over a weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2023 at 22:05, EasternO said:

It will essentially be a puzzle for the computer to solve using rules. For example, each spur will be at least 4 coaches long to allow for two 2-car DMUs or one 4-car. I plan on at least five spurs, which will be wholly or part occupied. The computer will choose a formation and destination and then figure out how to move it there, clearing the space if the destination is occupied and freeing the train if it is trapped.

That sounds like some pretty sophisticated programming. Certainly doable, but be aware it would need some good coding skills (also needs a degree of planning before hand with regards to track occupancy indicators).

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/12/2023 at 22:54, EasternO said:

I've settled on a classic. I have all of the track and half of the running stock.

It's made from two 1100 boards and one 700 board with traverser. After Christmas I'll order the centre board, probably from Grainge & Hodder.

minories.png.013373fb6677bf3863017af93d369752.png

As you say - a classic: simple, straightforward and achievable.  Just one quick comment if I may: a single slip would be more likely than a double slip - I don’t think the upper turn back route through the double slip would ever get used?  Keith.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

As you say - a classic: simple, straightforward and achievable.  Just one quick comment if I may: a single slip would be more likely than a double slip - I don’t think the upper turn back route through the double slip would ever get used?  Keith.

You are almost certainly correct, I bought all the track in a bundle a while ago so it's what I have for the moment. I did have a whole loft to play with but now it's just a 3m length. It's probably the most exciting plan I can manage with only 30cm approx width to play with.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas all, I hope Santa managed to unload his sack down your chimneys.

I started a side project yesterday. I've bought a few used models over the last few months but as I don't have a layout I'd need something to test them on. Plus I could use a running-in track, and later a DCC programming track.

This is a foldaway 800mm square board, which folds up to 800x400. I plan to top it with 6mm or 9mm ply, The circle is Peco R1 double curves. External power supply, either DC or DCC.

20231225_165625.jpg.4efd473a922c4436af9795f9607f03cf.jpg

Edited by EasternO
forgot the picture
  • Like 1