Heljan Class 58 Lighting

31A Driver

Hi all, just equiped my Heljan 58 with sound and noticed the following lighting irregularity.

Whether function 0 is selected or not, the lighting comes on. Now this is the really weird bit, it only illuminates on even numbered speed steps, ie, 2, 4, 6, etc and not on odd numbered speed steps.

I have tried putting a different decoder in and it is still the same, which suggests a problem with the circuit board itself. For the time being I have disconnected the lighting entirely, until I have time to find the cure or fit replacement lighting.

Any ideas????

Andy

There was a problem with the lighting circuit on the first batch of Heljan 58s (I believe the later batch had this corrected). There is a fix you can make yourself but I can't find the link to it at the moment (think its on the old forum).

Will have a look for you (that's assuming your model is from the first batch).

Thanks Andi and SrMan. The lights are now functioning correctly. 1 more question, how vital is the resistor which is in the motor circuit? As last night in a fit of frustration I removed it. Can I get away with just putting in a wire link, or should I replace the resistor? Thanks, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andi and SrMan. The lights are now functioning correctly. 1 more question, how vital is the resistor which is in the motor circuit? As last night in a fit of frustration I removed it. Can I get away with just putting in a wire link, or should I replace the resistor? Thanks, Andy

The two small green components are smoothing chokes to help with noise suppression on DC operation. Both can be replaced with wire links.

Andi

• 4 months later...

does any one know were i can get hold of a lighting kit ? please

what i want to do is use the existing wiring and just tap the leds onto a lighting board, im not fussed about day and night n independant tail lamps all i want to to do is 2 red one end and 2 yellow n white at the other and vice versa, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

i contacted express models and they have a back log due to illness

thanks in advance

Archived