Looking for suitable southern art deco station

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I am looking to replace my generic station building with a suitable 1930s southern design. But I am having difficulty finding a suitable prototype.

The station is a main line terminus and my current station building is the one pictured below. I am looking for something of a similar status. The footprint of the two units in the picture is 500mm x 150mm.

I like Woking, but it's a bit big, even with the wings chopped off. Same goes for Ramsgate which I also like.   Chessington North, Tolworth and Seaton are all a bit small. 

The nearest I have found is Bishopstone, but I could do with something a little grander.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Ian

20221122_163326.jpg.fe1e112a941256ebee4b45bbacac6e78.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Exeter Central?

Exeter- Queen Street, Central Station.

It's a spectacular building and one recently modelled by a member of Taunton Model Railway Group. However, I am after something a little more brutalist and more James Robb Scott.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Surbiton.

Surbiton I like very much but the main buildings are too big.  But I see the're is a smaller version on the south side which might fit better. 

Does anyone know what's inside the south side building?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Sabato said:

Try looking for pictures of stations on the Wimbledon - Sutton line, built in the '20s. sadly most have now been demolished, including St Helier, which might well meet your needs.

Good spot with the Wall of Death, and Wimbledon itself, 1929, also deserves a look, and is by the chosen architect. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Sabato said:

Try looking for pictures of stations on the Wimbledon - Sutton line, built in the '20s. sadly most have now been demolished, including St Helier, which might well meet your needs.

Blimey, St Heller certainly is very brutalist indeed....

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Sabato said:

Oh yes, and I shall be passing through the south side of Surbiton on Friday. I'll try to remember my camera.

Thank you! I have found drawings of surbiton south side which were submitted for a recent planning application. Pictures of the interior details would be great! Thanks

12 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Blimey, St Heller certainly is very brutalist indeed....

You should see it now!!

Southern Nouveau has a fairly comprehensive rundown of Art Deco buildings although only plans for one of the Chessington line buildings. I’m surprised that the latter are considered too small and not grand enough, as some of them look quite impressive to me.

• Like 2