Port Penrhyn Standard Gauge?

Edge

Morning all,

I'm highly tempted to jump with both feet into a PQR layout based around the dual gauge bridge shared by both the standard and narrow gauge railways across the river Cegin. 

However, for the life of me I can’t seem to find any details about the standard gauge trains which served the port. Does anyone have any pics or information that they could share of the locos in use and/or the makeup of the trains which served the port. Flexible on the exact dates involved, maybe leaning more towards the end of things in the 50s/60s, but again, any information is better than none :)

if anyone has any general pics of the PQR that might be useful that would also be gratefully received

Please make sure you have permission from copyright holder before posting :)

thank you in advance:)

Edited by Edge
Adding thanks

6 hours ago, Edge said:

Morning all,

I'm highly tempted to jump with both feet into a PQR layout based around the dual gauge bridge shared by both the standard and narrow gauge railways across the river Cegin. 

However, for the life of me I can’t seem to find any details about the standard gauge trains which served the port. Does anyone have any pics or information that they could share of the locos in use and/or the makeup of the trains which served the port. Flexible on the exact dates involved, maybe leaning more towards the end of things in the 50s/60s, but again, any information is better than none :)

if anyone has any general pics of the PQR that might be useful that would also be gratefully received

I've seen photos of British Railways Ivatt class 2 locos working at Port Penrhyn. The line was formerly LNWR/LMS, various goods classes from these companies may have been seen at the Port?

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Edge said:

Morning all,

I've seen photos of British Railways Ivatt class 2 locos working at Port Penrhyn. The line was formerly LNWR/LMS, various goods classes from these companies may have been seen at the Port?

ISTR it was partially covered in this.

https://www.booklaw.co.uk/foxline-books/railways-of-north-wales-bangor.html

Probably also covered in the relevant Middleton Press volume. I haven't got that one though.

Locos would be something smallish from Bangor such as an LNWR 0-6-0, later replaced by Ivatt and BR 2MT 2-6-0s.

Jason

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Probably also covered in the relevant Middleton Press volume. I haven't got that one though.

Locos would be something smallish from Bangor such as an LNWR 0-6-0, later replaced by Ivatt and BR 2MT 2-6-0s.

Jason

LNWR: Special DX, 17" and 18" Goods?

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Ivo Peters photographed the Penrhyn.

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Almost certainly without looking it up in books.

Quick look here suggests that later on they had L&Y 0-6-0s as well as Cauliflowers and 4Fs.

https://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=36

Jason

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2016/07/bangor-1939-1964.html

4 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Ivo Peters photographed the Penrhyn.

Yes. Picked up a DVD of his narrow gauge trips in north wales which record the narrow gauge workings very nicely. However, there is just a bit of SG track shown - there doesn’t appear to have been any standard gauge action when he was filming at the port.

My guesses for locos would have been 3Fs and 4Fs based solely upon the fact that it was on an LMS route and the line would have needed reasonably light engines. 

thank you to everyone for your responses. Clearly needs a bit more research.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Edge said:

Yes. Picked up a DVD of his narrow gauge trips in north wales which record the narrow gauge workings very nicely. However, there is just a bit of SG track shown - there doesn’t appear to have been any standard gauge action when he was filming at the port.

My guesses for locos would have been 3Fs and 4Fs based solely upon the fact that it was on an LMS route and the line would have needed reasonably light engines. 

thank you to everyone for your responses. Clearly needs a bit more research.

The shedbashuk link should shed light on the types of locos available for local workings from Bangor shed? Bangor had an allocation of 3F 0-6-0T Jintys?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information

Ivo Peters (The Narrow Gauge Charm of Yesterday, OPC) has a picture of an Ivatt 2MT at Port Penrhyn alongside Linda in September 1961.  The 2MT is too dirty to be able to read its number.  I am sure I have seen other pictures of somewhat cleaner class 2's on the line, but can't find them at the moment.

3 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

Ivo Peters (The Narrow Gauge Charm of Yesterday, OPC) has a picture of an Ivatt 2MT at Port Penrhyn alongside Linda in September 1961.  The 2MT is too dirty to be able to read its number.  I am sure I have seen other pictures of somewhat cleaner class 2's on the line, but can't find them at the moment.

It's a BR 2MT. Same one mentioned above 78059, now being converted to a 2-6-2T.

Not the same photo or photographer, but possibly taken at the same time.

https://flic.kr/p/bHZAo6

Jason