Dapol N - updated Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T

AY Mod

• Moderators

Manufacturer updates its tooling of the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T locomotive, while making decoder installation more user-friendly.

image.png

Anticipated to arrive in Q3, 2023, Dapol's latest announcement in a flurry of updates revealed at the Warley 2022 Model Railway Exhibition this morning sees its Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T tooling partially updated to "make DCC decoder installation easier."

Dapol is reviewing EP samples, while RRPs have been set at DCC 'friendly': £110.00, and DCC-fitted: £148.00.

The new models will feature tabs onto which decoder wires can be more-easily soldered, while the wheel profiles of the model appears more refined, too. The tooling was initially released in 2007, and this, in what could be described as a 'facelift' with improved features, will assist DCC users install digital decoders. A PCB is located in the bunker onto which pick-up and motor connections are terminated. 

Dapol commented, "It is a simple matter to replace the PCB with a wired ‘micro’ decoder by making four solder connections. Analogue/DC-only users do not need to make any changes."

The LMS Class 2 2-6-2T locomotives were designed by H. G. Ivatt and constructed between 1946 and 1952 to replace older locomotives. This versatile class was built primarily for branch line duties for which their “Prairie” wheelbase was well suited. Ivatt also included several labour-save features such as self-cleaning ashpans to improve operating economies. Following an initial batch of ten locomotives built by the LMS, British Railways decided to enlarge the class and a further 120 examples were built.

During BR days, the locomotives were allocated to the LMR, SR and WR regions and were equally at home hauling passenger and goods services. The last member of the class was withdrawn in 1967, but four examples of this popular locomotive type have been preserved and all are presently operational.

image.png

Models are to feature the following specification:

Highly-detailed body with many separately added parts

A choice of liveries

Die-cast wheels and chassis

Keyed axles (similar to the Dapol N Gauge A4/A3) to prevent quartering slippage

The model is DCC ‘friendly’

Three-pole 'can' motor providing smooth slow-speed running and a realistic top speed

The following liveries are proposed:

(2S-015-005) Ivatt 2-6-2T 1207 LMS Unlined Black

(2S-015-006) Ivatt 2-6-2T 41227 'British Railways' Lined Black

(2S-015-007) Ivatt 2-6-2T 41208 BR Early Crest Lined Black

(2S-015-008) Ivatt 2-6-2T 41236 BR Early Crest Lined Black

(2S-015-009) Ivatt 2-6-2T 41204 BR Late Crest Lined Black

(2S-015-010) Ivatt 2-6-2T 41319 BR Late Crest Lined Black

(2S-015-011) Ivatt 2-6-2T 41241 KWVR Lined Maroon

See your local Dapol stockist to pre-order the above models.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

If the running is much improved over the previous version I'd definitely be interested. But a coreless motor and DCC socket might be a better way to go, I'd have thought.

Looking at the RRP (£110 for non-DCC discounted to £93.50 at Rails) it would seem that an effort has been made to keep the price down, in which case perhaps their omission is more understandable. In today's economic climate probably not a bad call.

Roy

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Looking at the RRP (£110 for non-DCC discounted to £93.50 at Rails) it would seem that an effort has been made to keep the price down, in which case perhaps their omission is more understandable. In today's economic climate probably not a bad call.

Roy

All the while Bachmann shoehorn decoders into ever smaller locos.......

I am pleased they have at least replicated the M7 with a soldering point, but that was a second thought by Dapol and initial operating pre-production models had NO DCC preparedness.

Thanks for posting this @AY Mod.

Looks like a loco which will easily find a home on many layouts (LMS, LMR, SR, & WR).

With a BR(S) layout at the planning stage, and with the M7 due (and with the N class and Schools already available) I'd say my glass is well over half full. 

Hope you're enjoying Warley! 

• Like 2

It would be nice to see a picture of the new chassis to get a handle on how and where the DCC chip will fit, I note that they are talking about a micro-decoder so I suspect room will be limited.

On reflection, given the cost of a decent micro-decoder (e.g. Zimo) it appears it may be worth just buying the DCC fitted version anyway!

Roy

• Agree 1