Digitrains Advert

bordercollie

Hi

Not sure where to post this topic.

I have just come across a new problem with using RMweb.

When trying to access past messages, in particular, a digitrains an pop-up advertising video comes up. I am used to this and usually pressed the close button and I could carry on. However, when closing the video, a  static image advertising digitrains appears. This image can not be closed or moved and makes reading replies difficult. I queried this and received a reply saying I must now pay a subscription to access RMweb without this pop-up obscuring a large part of the screen. Has this now become the norm. Has anybody else come across this problem?

Regards

• Like 1

• Moderators

This is posted in the wrong area of the forum but I did your reply to your message yesterday within 18 minutes of you sending it:

Hi Graham,

Paid for Membership removes the Google advertising and video ads - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/171928-rmweb-premium-no-google-ads/

We also have a special offer on until Wednesday for Gold membership with access to our digital magazines with a prize draw - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/175651-our-best-ever-offer-for-rmweb-gold-world-of-railways-plus-access/

Thanks,

Andy

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Just tried to register but fell at the first hurdle.  It asks for a 'display name' so I chose Metr0Land but it says it's in use by another member.

I've just tried to look at the system but it didn't give me any results (not foolproof by any means!). Try registering with the same email address you use here and omit the username; I'll still be able to reconcile it and manually sort the permissions for Gold etc on here. Good luck!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bordercollie said:

If I understand you correctly the only way for this website to remain usable is to pay for a membership and that the the video can not be closed in any other way.

It depends on your definition of usable of course but to remove the Google ads* and pop-up ads then yes, the solution is to pay the £12 per annum.

*These may still show in some manufacturer subforums pending a fix.

Hello,

I don't use Adblockers and have no subscriptions. For me personally I don't find the Digitrains Advert intrusive even though I'm a comparative regular customer of theirs.

It's probably because I only access RMweb  via a PC coupled to a large monitor with the ad taking up very little on screen space and a singly clicky on the close cross sees the advert banished until I open up a fresh page.

RMweb-Digitrains-Ad.jpg.1af6a76eaac38b5e0388bb19c31ee22b.jpg

I do know folk that access  RMweb via mobiles or a pad that find the adverts infuriating.

In these times that are hard there are some that even the minuscule charge of 24p/week to have advert free access to RMweb will find hard to justify.

P

• Agree 2

It is intrusive to anyone using a mobile to access RMWeb but nothing comes for free and it does have to pay its way somehow. If I were an advertiser though, I’d have to think twice about using that particular arrangement, I’d suggest it would annoy prospective customers rather than engage them!

• Agree 1

Hi

My main problem is when using private messages. You simply cannot remove the ad, even temporarily,  by pressing close button. You can read messages as a small part of my laptop screen is not covered by this ad. I had started a topic some time ago. All attachments posted on the topic had disappeared and become unavailable. I recently wanted access to some information from forum topic that I had not saved at the time. I asked the member who had originally posted a diagram if he could send this again. He agreed to do this. Thankfully, I must have previously saved a screenshot as soon as I received his reply. I had forgotten I had done this. So I tried again a week or so ago and I now have the above problem. It is now impossible to take a screen shot without a large portion being a advert. I now know that I have to live with that or pay the money. 

I agree that you can temporarily remove ads by pressing the close button when using forum but not when using messages.

Regards