Chassis for SR E1 0-6-0T

Coromar

Hi All,

I have already e-mailed MSC models who used to have an E1 in their range but haven't had a reply yet. I will try Roxey Mouldings and ABS (if I can find who took them over). Thanks for the info. Mike and Nick.

I enclose a picture of the body shell, and I confirm it has no cab splashers - yet.

Best wishes,

Paul

P1030017.JPG

Looks like a neat bit of scratch building.or possibly one of the brass kits that pre dated etching techniques. Definitely worth saving. If space is tight the front axle can be positioned 0.7mm forward leaving the rear axle just 1mm aft. Slaters do the correct wheel which appears from the Wikipedia photos to have a short crank throw. An important consideration when building tank locomotives with deep splashers .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coromar said:

Hi All,

I have already e-mailed MSC models who used to have an E1 in their range but haven't had a reply yet. I will try Roxey Mouldings and ABS (if I can find who took them over). Thanks for the info. Mike and Nick.

I enclose a picture of the body shell, and I confirm it has no cab splashers - yet.

Best wishes,

Paul

P1030017.JPG

I don’t want to be a Jeremiah but what you have is a D1 0-4-2T,  

3 BATTERSEA - Stroudley Class D1 0-4-2T - built 12/1873 by Brighton Works - 12/03 withdrawn.97 HONFLEUR - Stroudley Class E1 0-6-0T - built 10/1874 by Brighton Works - 1931 to SR No.2097, BR No.32097 not applied - 12/49 withdrawn from 70A Nine Elms.

The larger front splasher and the shorter bunker are the clear markers.

photos courtesy of SmuMug.

Even easier to scratch build then.  Just remember to check the crankpin throw when ordering a set of wheels. And at least twenty quid less than you feared! Having said that, those trailing wheels are a unique size and you might have to order the nearest driving wheel size and perform some careful surgery around the crankpin boss. Still worth doing though.

The LNER G5 had 7'9" coupling rods available from PC. Slaters do the correct short throw Wheels. They also do a 4'7" driver designed for an outside frame GWR loco. This is close enough to the 4'6" trailing wheels of the D1.

Edited by doilum
Additional information

Dear Jeremiah,

You have really put the cat amongst the pigeons! When I get back to England I will measure the body against the drawings in the Southern Railway Engines and hopefully come up with the definite answer.

Someone thought it was a D3 0-4-4, so lots to play for!

Thanks for your input,

Best wishes,

Paul 

Edited by Coromar
add correct engine wheel base

15 hours ago, doilum said:

Even easier to scratch build then.  Just remember to check the crankpin throw when ordering a set of wheels. And at least twenty quid less than you feared! Having said that, those trailing wheels are a unique size and you might have to order the nearest driving wheel size and perform some careful surgery around the crankpin boss. Still worth doing though.

The LNER G5 had 7'9" coupling rods available from PC. Slaters do the correct short throw Wheels. They also do a 4'7" driver designed for an outside frame GWR loco. This is close enough to the 4'6" trailing wheels of the D1.

Slaters list both drivers and trailing wheels specifically for the D1 such as here

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?suffix=JPG&code=7853LB

• Thanks 1

Just a thought that occurred to me as I tidied up my modelling bench.

If you were to explore the plastikard chassis option the better method of drilling out for the axle bushes , having drilled 1mm pilot holes and separated the two frame blanks, is to open them out to almost the full size in a.single shot using a wood working bit. These have a sharp point that will centre on your pilot hole and the outer cutting edge is a complete circle and will not twist and snag the plastikard.

I suddenly remembered why there were a few random wood bits in my modelling draw as opposed to being in the outer workshop with the pillar drill and all the various other bits. The wood bits can even be used on thin brass 

• Like 1

Thanks to everybody who has helped me with my project.

I love the idea of using wood drills for the plasticard thanks for that Doilum.

I think a D1 it will be, but I will check my books when I get back to England to choose the actual loco.

Best wishes,

Paul