Bachmann LMS 4.6.0 chassis - interchangeability

I’m sorry if this subject has appeared before but I can’t find any details after “interrogating” the web.

The Bachmann family of LMS 4.6.0 have been around for a long time, even back to the days of Airfix and Mainline in some cases.

I wanted to enquire about the feasibility of fitting a more modern, ie non split frame chassis,  to earlier bodies.

I wondered if the bodies of these locomotives (models of course, not the real thing!) might have undergone an evolution in the same way as happened to the chassis - making such a modification rather tricky ………..

In simplest terms, is it fairly straight forward to fit say a “more recent” Jubilee chassis to an earlier jubilee  body  or indeed a Scot or Patriot?

I’m sure I’m very late to this particular party - hence my opening apology - but I would appreciate very much any guidance Forum members might be able to offer as to what is practicable..

Thanks in anticipation

Adrian

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I did a Mainline Royal Scot body to a New Patriot DCC ready chassis. The body fits but you need a little plasticard to lever the body it sits a little low on the cab end, not hard to do also the screw and thread to lock the body on doesn’t line up. But making a new one isn’t really troublesome. I melted a small nut into a piece of plastic rod using the soldering iron and glued that in place. Well using a new bolt. Pretty much it.

If you want to go further I fitted Markets Royal Scot wheels. The chassis wheel slots need opening up to allow the axles to fit. you need to get the Mainline Axle gear cog of the old axle open up the ID to 1/8 using a 1/8 reamer don’t over do this! Some 1/8 felt washers come in handy to take out some of the slop once the wheels are fitted. Also used the Markits cranks not cheap but saved a lot of fiddly work. 

why I did this you may ask? The rims are better shape and the Royal Scot wheel balance weights are different to both the Jubilee and Patriot. 

the finished loco

DC15C276-4796-4D69-A2AB-70514AD6C136.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 2