Leyland Nationals and new Thomas characters

Phil Parker

29 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

When I click on the link the page displayed says that Bachmann will be announcing more Thomas and Friends items in the (to be announced) 2023 range. No mention of a revocation. So looks like the answer to the first question is "no".

Yippee, it has changed since this morning!

• 7 months later...

Bachmann USA have announced a couple more Thomas locos.

1/ Duncan 

2/ Stanley

The CGI Duncan sadly looks nothing like the original Duncan based on Douglas from the Talyllyn. There is some rumor that its Talyllyn railway equivalent Douglas was in pieces when they visited Talyllyn to measure up the locos. But I can find no proof of that. And I hope the model is closer to Douglas than the Thomas TV CGI.... (especially if they eventually want to sell Talyllyn Douglas models).

Stanley is not an original book character (how can the TV series keep adding so many characters is beyond me) BUT - if based on real world measurements - we could end up with a cheap (?) industrial tank on our hands. As Stanley is based on Stewart & Lloyds 16" 0-6-0STs (themselves probably based on Manning Wardle T class).

Other items can be seen in the PDF here: https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/NMRA2023/NMRA2023.pdf

(edit: BTW no news on Sir Handel at this time).

BachmannUSA_Duncan.png

BachmannUSA_Stanley.png

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

There is some rumor that its Talyllyn railway equivalent Douglas was in pieces when they visited Talyllyn to measure up the locos.

Not true. I was present on the day of their visit to Pendre Works and the locomotives were pulled out by one of the diesel locomotives for photography and measurement etc. The visit took place on 18th October 2013 which was a non operating day.

Hope this clarifies the position for you.

DSC_0558.JPG

DSC_0547.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

Not true. I was present on the day of their visit to Pendre Works and the locomotives were pulled out by one of the diesel locomotives for photography and measurement etc. The visit took place on 18th October 2013 which was a non operating day.

Hope this clarifies the position for you.

DSC_0558.JPG

DSC_0547.JPG

Thank you very much. Indeed I could find no trace of Douglas being taking apart.... I'll go back to the 009 group where I saw that and correct them.

And what beautiful photos of this fine locomotive.....

• RMweb Premium

A couple of other pictures from the visit of the visit by Bachmann USA. As you can see the railway went out of its way to accommodate them.

The range of licensed models has to conform to the strict requirements of the license holder. The Thomas & Friends range of models will therefore vary from what you see in the photographs taken on the day.

Here are a couple of other pictures taken that day. The sun was sadly absent!

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

• Like 3

22 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Bachmann USA have announced a couple more Thomas locos.

1/ Duncan 

2/ Stanley

The CGI Duncan sadly looks nothing like the original Duncan based on Douglas from the Talyllyn. There is some rumor that its Talyllyn railway equivalent Douglas was in pieces when they visited Talyllyn to measure up the locos. But I can find no proof of that. And I hope the model is closer to Douglas than the Thomas TV CGI.... (especially if they eventually want to sell Talyllyn Douglas models).

Stanley is not an original book character (how can the TV series keep adding so many characters is beyond me) BUT - if based on real world measurements - we could end up with a cheap (?) industrial tank on our hands. As Stanley is based on Stewart & Lloyds 16" 0-6-0STs (themselves probably based on Manning Wardle T class).

Other items can be seen in the PDF here: https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/NMRA2023/NMRA2023.pdf

(edit: BTW no news on Sir Handel at this time).

BachmannUSA_Duncan.png

BachmannUSA_Stanley.png

The gunpowder wagons are interesting, particularly given that they’re based on Ffestiniog prototypes.

• Like 1