Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

An interesting new development.

Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

The dual gauge changeover track has been in Zweissimmen for some time:

image.png.ba3ce80f02c0aa4b9a8b69b457869afd.png

It's dual gauge the full length of both platforms with the metre gauge extended slightly passed the northern end and the standard gauge beyond the southern end.

There was an earlier much shorter version of it that was replaced when the station was rebuilt.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

The formation looks a bit odd, with that pointy-nose coach second. Moving a spare around?

No - although unfortunately I was unable to find a full explanation of what they're doing anywhere so my information might not be entirely correct.

That coach behind the RE465 is effectively a barrier coach, it stays attached to that loco at all times. I'm guessing this is needed because the RE465 has conventional couplings, and the GPX consist uses Schwab couplings. And I guess it adds a bit more passenger space for the standard gauge portion of the route?

The main part of the GPX consist has a cab at each end. At Zweisimmen the RE465+barrier coach get detached, and a narrow-gauge loco (which is fitted with Schwabs too) gets attached.

What I was unable to figure out yet is what direction they push and pull. I get the impression that starting in Montreux the consist is pulled by the narrow gauge loco. At Zweisimmen the narrow gauge loco remains on narrow gauge while pulling the GPX consist through the gauge changer (so it's actually dual gauge track here). Loco detaches and runs forwards off to a siding, and the barrier coach and RE 465 attach from the rear (i.e. they go over the gauge converter but don't get converted because they're already on standard gauge). This gets pushed to Interlaken, and pulled back to Zweisimmen. At Zweisimmen the RE465 and barrier coach get removed again and go over the gauge converter again (without a change in gauge) and off to a siding, meter gauge loco attaches itself to the back again.

In other words, the gauge converter allows fixed-gauge stock to simply run through it without issues, and only the GPX stock gets converted. For even more fun, the gauge conversion process also apparently results in the carriages being raised (when going to standard) and lowered (when going to narrow). That's how they can achieve level boarding for both the standard gauge (550mm) and narrow gauge (350mm) platforms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, icn said:

That coach behind the RE465 is effectively a barrier coach, it stays attached to that loco at all times. I'm guessing this is needed because the RE465 has conventional couplings, and the GPX consist uses Schwab couplings. And I guess it adds a bit more passenger space for the standard gauge portion of the route?

What I was unable to figure out yet is what direction they push and pull.

You are correct about the barrier coach.

The locos (both MOB 8000 series and BLS 465) are always on the Zweisimmen end of the coach set, so an Eastbound train will be pulled by the MOB loco and pushed by the BLS loco. My picture shows the first ever weekday Eastbound train last Monday so the 465 is 'pushing' the set towards Interlaken.

In this picture the earlier Westbound train is being pulled up the Simmental towards Zweisimmen 

IMG_9189.JPG

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, icn said:

Loco detaches and runs forwards off to a siding,

There is a complete run around for each gauge, metre at the North end and standard at the South end, they are situated between the main departing tracks.

The thing I haven't figured out is when the voltage is changed from the 850V DC MOB supply to the 15kV AC BLS supply and vice versa.

Both appear to be available through the full length of both tracks. as BLS EMUs have been stabled in the South End run around (can be seen on the MOB train cam sometimes).

• Informative/Useful 1

On 19/12/2022 at 00:33, MOB FAN said:

I’ll be on the Interlaken-Montreux train on Christmas morning.

At this time it’s one round trip daily (from what I hear). West bound and east bound trains meet at Gstaad.

It's not a 'round trip' at the moment. It is two trainsets, one setting off from each end, the Westbound departs earlier in the morning from Interlaken than the Eastbound does from Montreux.

To get my lineside pictures of the Westbound train on the BLS section I had to get up at 05.30 in the Geneva area to reach Spiez at 08.35 via Bern... 

Edited by Gordonwis