Unknown 7mm scale GWR 48xx Loco

hayfield

A few years ago I bought this 7mm scale whitemetal GWR 48xx Autotank, I don't think the maker was listed so I wrongly assumed it was a Springside kit. Its a super runner and is defiantly a keeper. But what make is it please

The body is far less detailed than a Springside model and has a brass tube boiler, clearly lacking the detail of a modern kit, but the chassis is of modern design with Slaters drivers and plunger pickups. Could it be an old CCW kit with a newer chassis ? 

1188.jpeg.16373df8be9a0268276a46eb31f395f7.jpeg

Having bought a Springside 14xx kit earlier this year it clearly is not, as I said a basic whitemetal body with a brass boiler

1189.jpeg.ed22f31a59d1a483056b3627a1a395aa.jpeg

The body has had some running repairs though has sprung buffers

1191.jpeg.905e6e13a748c132f3da5d4bb3e7618d.jpeg

Wear on the boiler shows its brass

1190.jpeg.2694bc2b152b451dcc2d2c77fdfbcc8a.jpeg

Not a Springside chassis but looks to be more modern than the body, a very large gear on the wheel, motor has no markings

Knowing the make would be of great interest to me

1 hour ago, airnimal said:

CCW perhaps ?

That would be extremely nice if it is and I think you may be correct, and it looks like you have made my weekend

I was born south of Watford close to Bushey and Oxhey Station, in the late 50's my mum took me to the CCW model shop which was in the Bridlepath between Watford Junction Station and the St Albans road. Everything was far too expensive. But it left such a memory of wonderful locos far bigger than my Hornby Dublo 4-6-2t

Later on when I was 13, I visited the shop and had enough pocket money to buy a CCW  0 gauge catalogue and still have it

Scan0169.jpg.6bab33a066fe32c647c59b21b4c13310.jpg  Sorry its in portrait but in my scans folder they are in landscape

Scan0170.jpg.0b17c66da64e8a28271cf8df13b19d21.jpg   If you can read it its spot on for a CCW loco I have, clearly states they were body only kits

I do have some of CCW wooden 00 gauge coach and van kits and quite probably cast bogies

Thank you very much, I did have a suspicion it may have been a CCW loco, but it was more of a wild guess, your post made me get out my old catalogue. I do have a spare Springside 14xx backhead and castings but Its going no where this kit

As for the chassis, it looks like it may be milled brass, certainly the coupling rods are, the plunger pickups are very modern, the chassis may be from Premier Components either being a later addition or the kit was built long after it was first sold

Now I must make a decent box for it

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

John, yours is better than the one I got, which had bits of cardboard for cab front and rear. 

Sorry to hear this, not the fault of CCW as they were basic whitemetal kits, with both my model and the photo showing cast whitemetal cab front and backs. They were sold on the basis the modeller added extra detail. I am not too certain on the number of parts 30 - 40 unlike the Springside 125 + parts. Plus you had to add your own chassis. A bit of a shame about the card cab details, those in the kit are in todays terms a bit basic, being flat with cut outs rather than windows, but that was the style in those days (K's pannier come to mind).

The chassis really sets mine apart, being very free running, but the trailing wheels are set too narrow and I cannot open them out, so somehow I will have to remove them and fit a pair of Slaters

I have also noticed some rather bad repairs, I feel a bit of the "Repair Workshop" coming on, as the clear glue repairs are unsightly

• Like 1