Pre-'Quail Maps' B.R. track diagrams.

C126

On 01/04/2023 at 02:39, 26power said:

If you use the georeferenced or side by side options on the NLS website then you don’t need to worry about a location being on more than one sheet because these options have all the sheets joined together!  As an example here’s the 25” coverage for part of Edinburgh:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14.7&lat=55.93816&lon=-3.24055&layers=168&b=1

The most recent detailed mapping in the drop down list is also now something like 1944-1972 at 1:1250 or 1:2500.

Using a slider you can also compare the mapping with, say, recent aerial photography.

All in all hours of distraction!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for pointing out the side by side option - something I wasn't aware of before - and I certainly hadn't noticed that more recent large scale maps had been added. Somebody in the NLS maps section has certainly  been busy!

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Might be worth mentioning that the LNWR Society have an extensive collection of 2 chain surveys, and station rating plans and the like, for much of that company's network, from the LNW, LMS and BR periods, plus some from other railways, most of which is scanned and available in the Society's online archive to members. The catalogue is available on their website and non-members can buy digital copies.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2023 at 08:13, mikeh said:

Might be worth mentioning that the LNWR Society have an extensive collection of 2 chain surveys, and station rating plans and the like, for much of that company's network, from the LNW, LMS and BR periods, plus some from other railways, most of which is scanned and available in the Society's online archive to members. The catalogue is available on their website and non-members can buy digital copies.

Mention of the LNWR reminded me that I have a copy of "Track Diagrams of the LNWR and its successors - Section 5 Northamptonshire" by R Foster and M Instone. This shows the different layouts in that area from the 1870's up to 1980.  I have never seen any reference to any other volume in this series so no clue if Section 1 to 4 ever existed.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/04/2023 at 22:02, 30851 said:

Mention of the LNWR reminded me that I have a copy of "Track Diagrams of the LNWR and its successors - Section 5 Northamptonshire" by R Foster and M Instone. This shows the different layouts in that area from the 1870's up to 1980.  I have never seen any reference to any other volume in this series so no clue if Section 1 to 4 ever existed.

Rob

They have not appeared so far.

• Thanks 1