A strange pop-out notification

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this was some kind of (nasty?) advert that got through my blocker but when I visited the 'Ruined Decoders?' thread in DCC Help and Questions a 'popout' briefly appeared on the right hand side that seemed to be claiming it was a new mail notification from Windows Mail. It was only visible for a second or less so all I saw was a domain of '@outlook.com' and a mail icon.

I don't use Windows Mail and I didn't recognise the address so I know it wasn't legit but I have no idea where it came from.

22 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I don't know if this was some kind of (nasty?) advert that got through my blocker but when I visited the 'Ruined Decoders?' thread in DCC Help and Questions a 'popout' briefly appeared on the right hand side that seemed to be claiming it was a new mail notification from Windows Mail. It was only visible for a second or less so all I saw was a domain of '@outlook.com' and a mail icon.

I don't use Windows Mail and I didn't recognise the address so I know it wasn't legit but I have no idea where it came from.

I don't use Windows mail, but I do use a Microsoft account to log in to the PC and Mail is running in the background.

So what you might have is spam/scam email to your windows account and Windows Mail has alerted you to the arrival of said mail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I don't use Windows mail, but I do use a Microsoft account to log in to the PC and Mail is running in the background.

So what you might have is spam/scam email to your windows account and Windows Mail has alerted you to the arrival of said mail.

Good thinking I'd forgotten about that. However after digging around it turns out my Microsoft account uses an email address hosted on my own mail server so there'd be a record of that mail. As it turns out I do have Windows Mail configured to talk to my server but currently it isn't even doing that for some reason. The last email it knows about is dated December 2019, lol. Ah. Looks like it is set to manually sync.

So I don't think that was it but I am puzzled as to what it was. The notification appeared about half way up on the right-hand side of the screen (but I have Chrome maximised anyway) and then vanished all by itself before I'd had time to read it. Also I have an ad-blocker and an AV and popups set to 'ask' so I can't imagine how it would get through all that.

But I've done a scan for Malware etc. and all clean so for now all I can do is 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by AndrueC