A ‘how to’ book?

• RMweb Premium

For the past 15 years or so, all my modeling has revolved around my 15mm/ft garden railway.  As we’re moving to a house on a mountain where I have yet to find a suitable piece of land to develop an outside garden railway I need to find an outlet for my modeling activities.   We do have very large basement which will be suitable for an 00 layout, so I can start to get my old 00 stuff out.  However it’s been probably 40 years since I’ve done any indoor 00 work.   

I’d like to get hold of a book to a) remind me of all the modeling things I ought to know and b)bring me up to date on developments over the past years.

I used to have a whole pack of Railway Modeler “How to” books from the ‘60s but they are long gone and out of date.  Can anyone recommend a current book that would fit the bill?

Many thanks in advance . 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 33C said:

"Complete guide to Model Railways" by Michael Andress. Comprehensive and cheap!

Thank you. That looks like a good contender.  I found copies available at a good price.   It was written, I think in ‘85 and unlisted in ‘88 around when I last did any 00 stuff!

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Martino said:

Thank you. That looks like a good contender.  I found copies available at a good price.   It was written, I think in ‘85 and unlisted in ‘88 around when I last did any 00 stuff!

It is ALL the contemporary 80's guides by PSL wrapped up in one book. I am constantly dipping in and out. The modern (now) guides are a bit specific but have the benefit of being available on Kindle!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Martino said:

For the past 15 years or so, all my modeling has revolved around my 15mm/ft garden railway.  As we’re moving to a house on a mountain where I have yet to find a suitable piece of land to develop an outside garden railway I need to find an outlet for my modeling activities.  

A live-steam funicular railway, perhaps? In addition to your basement line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

A live-steam funicular railway, perhaps? In addition to your basement line.

I have, genuinely, considered that!  However the slope is so steep I may have difficulty in just getting back up, once I’ve gone down.  It requires exploration with a rope and a Sherpa in the spring ;-)

• Funny 1

19 hours ago, Martino said:

I have, genuinely, considered that!  However the slope is so steep I may have difficulty in just getting back up, once I’ve gone down.  It requires exploration with a rope and a Sherpa in the spring ;-)

Meccano chain and gears with motor at base. Pegs on the chain to engage with the axles under. A lazy S configuration under the baseboard,  think of those motorised penguin rollercoasters where they are pulled up and slide down! 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 33C said:

Meccano chain and gears with motor at base. Pegs on the chain to engage with the axles under. A lazy S configuration under the baseboard,  think of those motorised penguin rollercoasters where they are pulled up and slide down! 

It’s not getting the trains up and down the slope, it’s getting me up and down!

• Friendly/supportive 1