Micro layout signals

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I am hoping to make a very small micro layout, I have recently become disabled and can't lift much weight. I would still like to have signals on the layout though. I intend to set it in the present time as a preserved line. Because the layout will only be 1102mm long (rough plan below) and I would like to run two coach trains, I will have to have the loco sitting over the point on the main running line. I would also like to have one of the Dapol bracket signals, at the position marked signal,  just because I like the look of them. I guess I might need a signal to allow a passenger train to pass the point, but would that be out of sight to the left or would it be on the platform?

Is it possible to do what I want?

16713009939156185396014135948906.jpg.4c8f79b630b6ccdd8e22e82a1dc71bb3.jpg

• Like 1

I think that works, just assume there is a junction off to the right that requires the bracket signal. No signal required for a passenger train to pass the point left to right but you could have a ground signal where the two sidings become one to control freight movements out onto the running line.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SZ said:

I think that works, just assume there is a junction off to the right that requires the bracket signal. No signal required for a passenger train to pass the point left to right but you could have a ground signal where the two sidings become one to control freight movements out onto the running line.

Thanks, I will buy the signal tomorrow from Kernow Model Rail Centre as I had a £15 voucher after pre paying for the GWR Steam Railmotor.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/12/2022 at 15:54, RailWest said:

You would need also to have trap points at the exist from the sidings in order to protect the main passenger-carrying line.

Hi RailWest, thanks for the advice. Would I need just the one to protect both sidings and should it/they be two bladed or could I get away with a single bladed one? Alternatively, as I don't have much length to play with, could I use a double slip, instead of the left hand point, to perform the same function?

The answer is...it depends :-)

IF there was enough space between the toe of the point which connects the 2 sidings and the point in the main line, then insert just one trap there. However, judging from your plan there would not be enough room, so there would need to be one trap on each siding. IMHO single-blade traps would suffice.

If you are building your own pointwork, then the two traps could be constructed within the confines of the point, otherwise they would need to be to the left of the point which leaves very little space in the shorter siding. So in that case a double-slip would be a 'space saving' idea, tho' realistically probably a complex piece of trackwork likely to be avoided by most heritage railways! On the other hand,  it could provide the basis for a very short spur siding in the bottom RH corner.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2022 at 18:17, simonmcp said:

Hi all, I am hoping to make a very small micro layout, I have recently become disabled and can't lift much weight. I would still like to have signals on the layout though. I intend to set it in the present time as a preserved line. Because the layout will only be 1102mm long (rough plan below) and I would like to run two coach trains, I will have to have the loco sitting over the point on the main running line. I would also like to have one of the Dapol bracket signals, at the position marked signal,  just because I like the look of them. I guess I might need a signal to allow a passenger train to pass the point, but would that be out of sight to the left or would it be on the platform?

Is it possible to do what I want?

16713009939156185396014135948906.jpg.4c8f79b630b6ccdd8e22e82a1dc71bb3.jpg

Ideally, there should be a trap point at the exit of the goods shed/siding. But I understand your space constraints,  so we'll assume there is one (I assume the same on my home layout where necessary). So. Yes, you can have an imaginary home signal off stage to the left,  the clearing of which would give permission for the train to pull into the station up to your Dapol signal. As its a single line, assumption must also be made that the line is clear to the next signalbox or passing loop - whatever. So yes, go ahead with your thinking.

• Thanks 1