Connecting Bachmann EZ Command to Bus Wired Layout

latestarter

Neophyte wiring question!

I have a bus wired DCC layout that I'm currently controlling with a Hornby Select DCC controller. Connection is very straightforward, as I just put the red and black (tinned) wires at the end of the bus wiring,  into the Select. I can then put 2 red/black wires from my programming track into the Select when needed. 

The Bachmann EZ Command seems to have a single-ended plug that goes to a track fitting. I assume I can take this off and bare the wires, and then wind them around the red/black bus wiring? Is that correct?

Also, is there a simple way to connect the controller to the bus wire to make it easy to swap the layout wiring for the programming track wiring?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by latestarter

44 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Take the output from the EZ Command to the common poles on a DPDT switch them you take the track from one switched set of terminals and the programming track from the other. You then move the switch to whichever you want active.

Thanks for that! A basic follow up question, please (electronics is definitely not my 'thing' and my brain hurts even thinking about it)....

On a 6-pin DPDT switch, would it work putting all the red wires (of 3 pairs of connections) on one side, and the corresponding black wires on the opposite pins? Sounds a bit too simple, but I hope it's right! :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, latestarter said:

On a 6-pin DPDT switch, would it work putting all the red wires (of 3 pairs of connections) on one side, and the corresponding black wires on the opposite pins? Sounds a bit too simple, but I hope it's right! :)

The centre two connections are the common. The terminals either side are connected to it depending which way the switch is thrown.

Connect the controller to the centre pair, feed the layout from one of the outer pairs, the programming track from the other.

Don't connect both DCC systems at the same time!

Steven B

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, latestarter said:

Is that possible, if the switch only goes on when it's set either to one side of the centre or the other?

Generally no.   

BUT depends on the switch specification.   Most will be "break before make", so the system being moved away from is "break/disconnect" before the new system is connected.     If the switch specification is "make before break" (they exist for good reasons, and are available commercially), then both will be connected during the change-over.   

Clearly a change-over with centre-off will have an "off" in the middle, so never any question how the switch is designed.  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1