Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cleaning Portescap Gearboxes.

Shed Driver

I've had several like this over the years. As has been already said, don't power up!

I remove the gearboxes, then test the motor - usually sweet as a nut. Then leave the gearbox overnight in isopropanol (IPA but not the beer!), and then drain and spin until it's free. Relube with TriFlow ptfe oil (try a bicycle shop or Amazon), spin and reattach motor. Then power up and all should be well. Now is the time to flog it on ebay!

Things have moved on vastly since their day and I've found the High-Level gearboxes and motor range excellent.

On 21/12/2022 at 18:00, decauville1126 said:

Now is the time to flog it on ebay!

Things have moved on vastly since their day and I've found the High-Level gearboxes and motor range excellent

Did I just read this as flog it on e,bay as I need some portescaps;

great as high level and mashinas were ( I haven’t used any since the demise of mashima and don’t know what to use with my high level gearbox on the next loco) I don’t think it’s worth the cost of changing the portescap, it was a stratospheric jump in quality from mw1001 and Romford gears to the porsiscrape as I call them, the jump to mashima and high level is not so large I just miss the bevel gears from. a poriscape 

as aside all my portiscape still go even the first on I bought for £17.50 new back in the days of it just being Keen. pre maygib days but I have relubed them as the red stuff they come oiled with gets sticky over near fourty years

just did a check and I have 14 locos fitted with portiscaps ! At fifty quid a throw second hand quite a hall if I flogged them but then what would it cost to change them ? Something to NOT think about over the Christmas drivel on the box season 

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Wickes Paintbrush Cleaner. The bluey-purple stuff.

It's an excellent degreaser and has the added plus of being easily flushed away with hot water, effectively removing debris, grit etc.

Using very hot water means that after a quick shake, the gearbox dries quickly and can then be re-lubed.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2022 at 11:03, Graham456 said:

Did I just read this as flog it on e,bay as I need some portescaps;

great as high level and mashinas were ( I haven’t used any since the demise of mashima and don’t know what to use with my high level gearbox on the next loco)

I don't think the suggestions was to remove them from existing locos!

High Level now supply their own motors to go with their gearbox range, and these are even better than Mashimas!  I believe they are coreless types, like Portescaps.

High Level Kits have their own topic HERE

• Informative/Useful 1