Passenger coach coupling mechanisms

ellocoloco

Moving or pivoting sprung diaphragms seem to be more of a thing. With Kadees or similar being in pretty much universal use there is less need for the whole box to ease out because of the couplers ability to swivel. Some longer cars I have (Athearn Bombardier) have the coupler mounted on an extended pivot arm, and I've found my solid replacement magnetic bar couplings between the inner pivot points are good for holding the cars together down to a 30" radius with the diaphragms practically touching.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

I quite fancy Bachmann's newly announced Venture coaches, cab car and a Charger, but thinking they don't have kinematic mounts is a real put off.  I use Kadees on a lot of my models but think Rocos on close mounts are the best thing for high speed push pull operations. 

@298 Can you run cab car forward without issue using  the magnetic bar couplings?

19 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

@298 Can you run cab car forward without issue using  the magnetic bar couplings?

Yes, although the F59phi used to propel it hasn't got a brilliant turn of speed and probably only does a scale 60mph.

I've seen another discussion on a Faceache group concerning minimum radii, the message being someone trying to cram in as much track as possible will aim to use a minimum radius, but an experienced layout builder will use the maximum possible. But even then as model railway builders we tend to break all of the prototype rules, Amtrak standards dictate a 79mph line speed needs something like a 1km radius which in HO is something like 38 feet.

I've never been that much of a fan of the Keen systems type couplings as they seem to be a recipe for uneven coupling heights and don't allow for changes in gradient. And the sight of an equipped train stretching itself is most unprototypical!