Compressed air Hawthorn Leslie

Compressed air powered, caption on Flickr states it was on of three. This one being based on a W4 workshop number668 the others used Hawthorn Lesley frames. I reckon it would be just possible to hide the motor under that sheeting, anyone(Ruston!) tempted to have a bash?

Mobile Compressor

• Like 2

On 04/09/2022 at 17:30, w124bob said:

Compressed air powered, caption on Flickr states it was on of three. This one being based on a W4 workshop number668 the others used Hawthorn Lesley frames. I reckon it would be just possible to hide the motor under that sheeting, anyone(Ruston!) tempted to have a bash?

Mobile Compressor

I'm sure that's based on a Hawthorn, Leslie, not a Peckett. Interesting.

Edited by Ruston

On 04/09/2022 at 17:30, w124bob said:

Mobile Compressor

Not come across the likes of that before.  Is that compressing the air itself with a diesel engine or similar?

Would compressed air locos working through cylinders like that be classed as "fireless" engines the same as those that have a big cylinder of steam filled from some stationary plant?

13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Not come across the likes of that before.  Is that compressing the air itself with a diesel engine or similar?

Would compressed air locos working through cylinders like that be classed as "fireless" engines the same as those that have a big cylinder of steam filled from some stationary plant?

"Fireless" only applies to steam engines. This has a diesel engine with a compressed air transmission, so in the same way that you have diesels with mechanical transmissions being known as diesel-mechanical (DM) and ones with hydraulic transmissons being diesel-hydraulics (DH), this would be Diesel-compressed air. The Industrial Railway Society categorised them as DC.

I'm sure that they aren't locomotives in the true sense. They seem to be self-propelled mobile compressors, rather then traction units.

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 2