BR WR 1962-70 MODULE IDEA

• RMweb Gold

Right a couple of things.  If 1 is locked when the platform is occupied how do you signal an engine onto a train after it h as run round?  (hint a handi signal could be given by teh Signalman but 1 could be used for that purpose under certain circumstances - and would have been at many small stations).  Note in the locking table taht 8 is not shown as releasing 9 - sorry I missed that last time.  Incidentally 7 might not necessarily lock 8 in t reverse - that would n be un usual on release crossovers although nothin wrng in doing it although it does create extra lever movements.

Lever k leads need quite a bit of revision - I'll look at that later - but as this is on a branch line no leads need to be labelled 'branch'.

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Right a couple of things.  If 1 is locked when the platform is occupied how do you signal an engine onto a train after it h as run round?  (hint a handi signal could be given by teh Signalman but 1 could be used for that purpose under certain circumstances - and would have been at many small stations).  Note in the locking table taht 8 is not shown as releasing 9 - sorry I missed that last time.  Incidentally 7 might not necessarily lock 8 in t reverse - that would n be un usual on release crossovers although nothin wrng in doing it although it does create extra lever movements.

Lever k leads need quite a bit of revision - I'll look at that later - but as this is on a branch line no leads need to be labelled 'branch'.

That's why I I itially wanted a shunt signal to be able to call a loco on, but I will use the excuse that the signal man is using hand signals. It's going to be interesting incorporating with the pc and rocrail but locking that signal at red when there's a train in the platform should make it simple to stop the pc ramming one dmu into the back of another by accidently leaving the signal off. 

Really wasn't sure how to label leads, whilst I've found various text on diagrams and interlocking now, still struggling with elad labelling 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

locking that signal at red when there's a train in the platform

How? I would not expect track circuits to be used here. I don't think you need to worry about this, as Mike has said.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

How? I would not expect track circuits to be used here. I don't think you need to worry about this, as Mike has said.

Hi there @St Enodoc love your layout.

All of my interlocking will be done with servos and all of the main tracks will have block detection for pc automation anyway so I thought this would be an easy fix to a limitation I believe I'll have with my method for running the layout automatically and manually at the same time. 

I might end up just adding a virtual signal or something along those lines to prevent the pc crashing trains if I set the home to off with a train in the platform.  That way the actual lever and signal can be operated, but the computer wizardry will hold back any spurious branchline trains from the platform of I set the. 

All of this is very much in the planning and theory stage as I've yet to run a single automated train and have only physically built one of  12 modules that will form the layout. 

Once again excuse my ignorance but I am a mere sprog in my early twenties. 

I will remove the circuit interlocking from the platform track plans and come up with a behind the scenes method to hold off automated trains. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

All of my interlocking will be done with servos and all of the main tracks will have block detection for pc automation anyway so I thought this would be an easy fix to a limitation I believe I'll have with my method for running the layout automatically and manually at the same time. 

I might end up just adding a virtual signal or something along those lines to prevent the pc crashing trains if I set the home to off with a train in the platform.  That way the actual lever and signal can be operated, but the computer wizardry will hold back any spurious branchline trains from the platform of I set the. 

All of this is very much in the planning and theory stage as I've yet to run a single automated train and have only physically built one of  12 modules that will form the layout. 

I will remove the circuit interlocking from the platform track plans and come up with a behind the scenes method to hold off automated trains. 

Thanks. Perhaps you could try using a servo or something to get the signalman to pop a flag out of the window in that situation? I've seen that done before on a purely manual basis.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

This approach reminds me of a freight terminal I planned and drew up the initial methods of working.  I incorporate numerous subsidiary signals in the spec in order to attach locos to trains after run rounds etc and the scheme plan delivered by the S&T designer did all that I wanted and was accepted by the Rules & Safety people.  We then changed to a totally different management in the OfQ reorganisation and their Rules & Safetly demanded all sorts of track circuit controls which prevented subsidiary signals from being cleared!  We got it sorted in the end and I got what I wanted for the operation of the place but we could have been in a major shambles if they'd had their way.

Simple message - don't over complicate by imposing controls that didn't exist in the real world and would actually have prevented things frombeing dione

I;ll havea. look at the leads as soon as possible

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 months later...

Over on my main thread you will have seen ive changed the tmd design to be more representative of a small MPD which has had a diesel Facility added at one end. This means the Signals previosuly discussed on this thread no longer align. Ive re read this thread and come up with a guesstimate plan for the new signalling . the main change being the gantry mounted signals.

Overall Plan

sigsv1.png.00e08f88f4942d5656602a7b53e189a9.png

Zoomed in gantry plan

siggantry.jpg.fd9579949c019eb637357e8428f009fe.jpg