Masking a class 31

sb67

Hi, I'm re painting a class 31 and have now sprayed the yellow ends. 

I'm after any tips or advice on masking them off to spray the rest of the loco blue. I'm using Tamiya masking tape and have some Maskol but havent used that yet. 

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

The Tamiya tape is the best thing.  Just cut it very carefully, using a straight edge if needed to get a crisp edge. Once masked up, then firstly spray again with yellow.  That should seal any gaps in the tape. Then give it the blue. Spraying first with yellow should prevent the blue bleeding through.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Thanks for the tip @ikcdab all done now. How long do you wait before removing the masking?  

The general tip is to remove is quickly.  But I normally have to do several coats and each has to dry first, so I don't think it matters.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Corbs said:

How did it go?

Thanks for asking, @Corbs. It wasn't too bad, I did underestimate how the blue paint would get through the inside of the bodywork and if you look closely there's a slight blue tinge on some of the yellow, lesson learnt for next time! 

I'm leaving it alone for a while to fuly harden then \i want to weather it. I 've been covering it on my workbench thread.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/84418-steves-4mm-workbench-lima-class-31/page/12/#comment-5095503

331474881_5601082540020121_5740636637387131073_n.jpg.25a1b7cc88ab2a01815ab60787e8ad68.jpg

• Like 4