GEC traction locos

10 hours ago, Jordan-Leeds said:

Does anybody know of a kit in 4mm for the gec traction 6 coupled shunters http://m.ipernity.com/#/doc/302581/42263494

Identical to these beasties which seem to be somewhat massive 

They were, as mentioned above, a continuation of an EE design, built at Vulcan Works, at Newton Le Willows. Sometimes referred to as the 'Stephenson' type, or class, which possibly alludes to them being originally being designed or built at English Electric's Stephenson works, in Darlington.

I've never been able to find much information on them at all, but have seen the EE ones in 4w chain drive, 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 variations. The GEC ones only ever appear to have been 0-6-0 and have a slightly wider engine casing than the EE ones, possibly to house larger engines? I know that some of the GEC ones were fitted with Dorman 12QTV engines, of around 600HP, so may be been V or twin bank, which would account for the extra width. The EE ones could be fitted with 6 or 8-cylinder engines from 305HP to 500HP, from either Dorman or Cummins.

But to answer the question; I don't know of any kit being available either now or in the past. I would certainly buy an EE one, if there was!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1