Mike's models yard crane.

• RMweb Premium

I bought a Andy Duncan yard crane at the weekend for layout yet to be constructed.  Yesterday my good lady suggested that we try and clear the loft of all the years of collected junk before I get to old to climb up there. 

So many boxes of junk were brought down and disposed of to charity shops and the council tip. One box of assorted railway bits were discovered that included this Mike's model yard crane. There were no instructions with it so I am not sure if all the parts are there and if it belongs to any particular company.  So if anyone has any instructions or helpful information so I am able to construct it, that would be a great help.

Mike

20230111_210110.jpg

Mike - a visit to an ancient box file produced a set of instructions for a Mike's Models crane which looks very much like the item(s) you pictured above.  I'll scan it this evening and pm you the two sides of A4 which includes a diagram.  The instructions say  "This crane was 'contractor built' and with small detailed variations was used on the Southern, LNWR, Lancs and Yorks and Highland Railway". I'll now go and look for the box which contains the parts (Ithink I know where it is) and see if I've got a complete inventory - I dont remember the balsa baulk so you might let me know its dimensions so that I can add that to the instructions for future reference.

Kit PW

p.s. sent just now - Kit

Edited by kitpw
  • Thanks 1

On 13/01/2023 at 16:44, kitpw said:

Mike - a visit to an ancient box file produced a set of instructions for a Mike's Models crane which looks very much like the item(s) you pictured above.  I'll scan it this evening and pm you the two sides of A4 which includes a diagram.  The instructions say  "This crane was 'contractor built' and with small detailed variations was used on the Southern, LNWR, Lancs and Yorks and Highland Railway". I'll now go and look for the box which contains the parts (Ithink I know where it is) and see if I've got a complete inventory - I dont remember the balsa baulk so you might let me know its dimensions so that I can add that to the instructions for future reference.

Kit PW

p.s. sent just now - Kit

The 'balsa baulk' will be for shaping the jib.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RexAshton said:

...thanks; I guessed that that was what it was for but had no information about its length - Mike's BIC seems a better bet anyway!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, RexAshton said:

Exactly so - this link is to some pictures of a Mikes Models Midland yard crane that I am just finishing off. The jib came as a square piece of balsa, which had to be re-shaped to an octagonal one - 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This photo by one of my fellow ipernity site members shows the sort of fittings the wooden jib has.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/grisleyreg/46408986

The timber can be shaped in different ways. Some are fairly straight with the ends tapered into the metal sockets. Others seem to bulge towards the centre and yet others taper towards the upper end. If you don't fancy carving or turning the balsa you could look for a suitable sized tapered paintbrush handle.

I have used one on one of my Highbridge Wharf steam cranes.

I 5 tons cabin crane.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3