Joints in the Backdrop

regme

Hi

How do you deal with the joint on the backdrop when joining two modules?

The modules will always be place next to each other, but I want to be able to pull them apart if I have to work on an individual module.

So I'm not sure how to deal with the joint. My woodwork skills are not that good that I can have a very fine cut line, but I'm happy to give it ago.

I have seen a plastic joint strip being used, but was not that keen on it, if I made the strip flush with the backdrop, painted it, then cut along the plastic strip with a thin blade, I would have two cut lines but that maybe better than one big cut line.

How would you do it if you where doing exhibitions and separating the modules frequently?

Cheers

I would use the strips of H-section plastic used in flat pack furtniture to join backsheets of hardboard/thin ply.  After erecting the layout, bolting the boards together firmly and levelling, you drop the plastic over the two backboards to align them.  You can paint/wallpaper right over them once assembled, then cut the wallpaper with a Stanley knife to make it removable again.  But I think this is what you are suggesting anyway. 

Adjusting the levels is key to minimising visible gap - if the board joint is either humped or sagging, the backboards will be out of vertical and there will be a tapering gap visible one way or the other where they join.

A tip DougN suggested to me was to use some tongue and groove planking along the back of the joint. When pressed together the two halves will align perfectly, yet can easily be separated when required.

• Like 1