GWR Edwardian design and printing

Hi Steve,

Very impressive (as I’ve said in the GWR modellers FB site). When the design is done could you print one for me?

Are you intending to drive the front or rear axle? A high level roadrunner+ with drive extension should allow the rear axle to be driven and the subsequent contortions to get the motor into the firebox/boiler.

Also I’d fill in the footplate below the smoke box for strength and to give a fixing point for the body/footplate/chassis. I’d also consider making the rear splashers part of the footplate not cab, again for strength.

How are you going to fix the bogie? I’m puzzling this myself for the 0-4-4t versions. I was thinking about a flexichas approach but this might be difficult unless there is a drop out sub frame. I’m also wondering how to arrange bogie pickups, so any suggestions would be great.

Finally, given the tightness of space between the frames I’d avoid springs - especially csb ones - and use a flexichas 3 point approach with fixed driven axle. 

all the best,

Duncan

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Duncan

I could probably print some, once I've ironed out the issues.

I am going to use a high level load hauler, with the motor vertical in the firebox, as with the 5v motor it just fits, note I am going RC control with battery power, so don't need pick ups for this, but they should be easy to mould a groove for them to sit in.

The area under the smokebox is not drawn yet, and I have a couple of options to connect them.

For the bogie I am going to experiment with springs again, I have managed to get them to work with a printed 8' 6" dean bogie for a carriage, and will try them with this. if it doesn't it's just some drawing revision and a reprint. 

Currently working on getting some semblance of the inside motion, into the chassis drawing, probably the the most difficult thing I've drawn so far, really hard to wrap my head around from a G.A. drawing.

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 5 weeks later...

Trying to print the Viaduct bents, and the printer just stops half way through? Not yet sure why, as none of the buttons would work on the printer, until I restarted it. 
It does gives an insight, into the structure of the main beams, to reduce resin use, they all have a way of draining for cleaning etc.
Want to build a diorama for taking pictures for my rolling stock prints.

Failedviaductprint.JPG.19c09638b4667d15c8c8348b4ae37674.JPGFailedviaductprint2.JPG.ce7ea95f806313cdeacc2ee24d971ce3.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, drduncan said:

Steve,

Any updates ornew projects to show off?

Duncan

I have not done any modelling since June, outside projects take precedent once the summer arrives, but I have some things I'm working on now. Just printing the first 3521 chassis right now, to take High level horn blocks with CSB's.

Waiting for a couple parts, for a Saddle tank body kit, to sit on a High level chassis, or the Bachmann pannier chassis.

Also working on some 7mm wagons which I will reveal once I'm happy with them, they have working suspension, with moving axle boxes, these are very close completion.

Stephen

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, drduncan said:

@stevel any updates?

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Thank for asking , not much happening in the last couple of months, as I have a shoulder injury, that has made computer work or model making, extremely painful. I am now recovering with some therapy, daily massage etc, and can do a couple of hours each day in the last week to make some progress, and hope to build up to more things getting done.

Here is a sneak preview of a 3 plank round end 7mm wagon, the first full build to test the suspension, and check clearances. This is a collaboration with @magmouse with more wagons from the late 1890's to early 1900's, to follow once the issues are sorted out.

IMG_6140.JPG.c9736099fa4b65c3585eeea794b64f71.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I have managed to get some work done on computer for the saddle tank, and I think it's coming along nicely, if anyone sees any glaring issues I am all ears. This version is from the first five lots, per RCTS with the five course tank, with the U5 boiler and front dome. The backhead is proving to be a little difficult to draw as I have not been able to find any pictures, in any of the books, or by searching the internet.

1854saddletankv34.png.e279783b01d9c72cbdb4a23001695275.png

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, stevel said:

I have managed to get some work done on computer for the saddle tank, and I think it's coming along nicely, if anyone sees any glaring issues I am all ears. This version is from the first five lots, per RCTS with the five course tank, with the U5 boiler and front dome. The backhead is proving to be a little difficult to draw as I have not been able to find any pictures, in any of the books, or by searching the internet.

1854saddletankv34.png.e279783b01d9c72cbdb4a23001695275.png

Hi Steve, 

Is that an 1854 class? It’s very nice. A couple of points: you haven’t mirrored the front sand box and there should be daylight not a solid footplate between the frames from the rear of the smoke box to the front of the fire box.

I might have the cab arrangement for a 3541st which will give you a good idea for early Dean condition tank locos. I’ll have a look and pm you.

Duncan

There should be a pipe from the pipework in front of the cab -  injector? Running straight down through the footplate. 

Might be an idea to print the toolboxes separately because they seem to change position on a per loco basis, if you plan to make them more widely available. 

The radius on the base of your boiler fittings - safety valve cover in particular - look odd. Have you used a radius/round tool? 

14 hours ago, drduncan said:

Hi Steve, 

Is that an 1854 class? It’s very nice. A couple of points: you haven’t mirrored the front sand box and there should be daylight not a solid footplate between the frames from the rear of the smoke box to the front of the fire box.

I might have the cab arrangement for a 3541st which will give you a good idea for early Dean condition tank locos. I’ll have a look and pm you.

Duncan

It is an 1854/1701, I didn't notice the sandbox body was turned off when I captured the image, which is why it is missing. All the individual items are drawn as components, and saved separately so they can be used on future projects, this way I don't have to draw them again.

The reason for the solid footplate is that there will be 2 options, 1 to fit the Bachmann 57xx chassis, and another for the High Level chassis kit. 

For the Cab arrangement I have been using the S4 boiler, from a Dean goods as a reference, but would prefer a saddle tank picture .

Stephen

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

There should be a pipe from the pipework in front of the cab -  injector? Running straight down through the footplate. 

Might be an idea to print the toolboxes separately because they seem to change position on a per loco basis, if you plan to make them more widely available. 

The radius on the base of your boiler fittings - safety valve cover in particular - look odd. Have you used a radius/round tool? 

From the pictures I have I'm not sure where that pipe comes from, and it needs to be added, this is just a progress, so more than one set of eyes is always helpful, because it is easy to miss things. 

Things like toolboxes and sandboxes are individual drawings, just had the body turned off when I did the image. 

I'm not yet 100% happy with the dome or safety valve drawings, but when printed they seem to look a lot better, we will see when I do a test print. Yes I use the fillet tool in Fusion for this.

Stephen

On 24/01/2024 at 04:04, richbrummitt said:

Took another look at the top boiler fittings and redrew them, a little happier with them now, they have better proportions, when compared with the Pictures I have. I shouldn't have gone by the drawings, which seem to be oversized, in comparison. That's why more than one pair of eyes is better.

1854saddletankv39.png.65309260615946a2d91b92b6974f25fc.png

Thanks Stephen

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I can't find any evidence of a front tank step on a 5-segment 1854.

Good spot. I’d forgotten from when researching my model (still unfinished from a few years ago) that front steps were a ‘modern’ figment. 

1 hour ago, richbrummitt said:

Good spot. I’d forgotten from when researching my model (still unfinished from a few years ago) that front steps were a ‘modern’ figment. 

I think the front tank step came in with the '5 and a half' segment (extended) tanks, and these date back quite a way. (Not sure exactly when.)