GWR Edwardian design and printing

Just finished redrawing the Wood framed van, after looking at a print I had done some time ago, I wanted to make some minor changes, only to discover it was no longer in my saved files!!!!!

Upside is it took about 85% less time to draw this time.

1128481811_Screenshot2023-03-14131322.jpg.60d332583737ae569f4f21c10e7eb90a.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, stevel said:

Phil, it depends on what resin you are using, for the Siraya Tech Mix that I use, I don't print with a raft, it makes it easier to remove the print.

settings are 15 sec, for base layers, lift and retract are 120mm/min, 50 um, light off 0.5, exposure 1.6 sec, lift distance 1.6 mm.

and I print only once the resin is very warm, between 20-30C.

Thanks Steve, will check my settings against those and optimum for the resin I use, being a cheapskate it’s Sunlu ABS like which I have found, to my surprise, to be very good.

2 hours ago, PhilH said:

Thanks Steve, will check my settings against those and optimum for the resin I use, being a cheapskate it’s Sunlu ABS like which I have found, to my surprise, to be very good.

I've heard Sunlu is pretty good too, but Siraya Tech is less expensive over this side of the pond, and has worked really well.

I have found anycubic resin to be pretty good personally, you do have to dial in your settings but when you do it is super cheap at aliexpress also making it a bit less than 20 squid a kilo, i tend to buy in batches of four you get through a lot when printing in 7mm :( 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woko said:

I have found anycubic resin to be pretty good personally, you do have to dial in your settings but when you do it is super cheap at aliexpress also making it a bit less than 20 squid a kilo, i tend to buy in batches of four you get through a lot when printing in 7mm :( 

Although I dislike making rich people richer I do subscribe to Amazon Prime, free usually next day deliver alone is worth the money imo. I’ve been buying the Sunlu ABS like from them at £15.59 /litre inc delivery. I think it’s gone up a bit since then but still a bargain in my book.

Edited by PhilH

Just now, PhilH said:

Although I dislike making rich people richer I do subscribe to Amazon Prime, free usually next day deliver alone is worth the money imo. I’ve been buying the Sunlu ABS like from them at £15.59 /litre inc delivery. I thing it’s gone up a bit but still a bargain in my book.

That is good Phil thanks chap, i will take a gander thank you

• Like 1

On 14/03/2023 at 20:02, stevel said:

I have been thinking of selling prints but the shipping from Canada could put people off the idea.

I know absolutely nothing about this, but if you were open to selling access to the STLs then perhaps you could collaborate with a local printer? @BlueLightning might be worth talking to access the UK pre-Grouping market...just planting seeds :)

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Schooner said:

I know absolutely nothing about this, but if you were open to selling access to the STLs then perhaps you could collaborate with a local printer? @BlueLightning might be worth talking to access the UK pre-Grouping market...just planting seeds :)

More than happy to discuss doing prints locally in the UK via my fledgling 3D printing business, already working with a few designers including Woko, lots of bits to test print/build and get added to the website, but the slowly growing range can be seen at https://www.oakhillworks.co.uk/

Gary

EDIT:

Although maybe not of interest to people in a GWR topic, the next kit to be added will be an as built LBSC E4 which will be the biggest print variable when it goes out (although I do have a couple of things bigger ready to go), just need to test built it!

2055449114_2023-03-0919_12_42.jpg.08b55f7a1316971e98b032b84fb24ae0.jpg

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Although maybe not of interest to people in a GWR topic, the next kit to be added will be an as built LBSC E4 which will be the biggest print variable when it goes out (although I do have a couple of things bigger ready to go), just need to test built it!

To fit the Bachmann E4 chassis, I presume?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Although maybe not of interest to people in a GWR topic,

Although probably not interested in an E4, I am definitely interested in pre-grouping GWR stock, and that of other companies that might have run through to GWR metals. Crucially, though, I am interested in 7mm scale, as I am sure some others will be. Are you able to share any plans for that yet?

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, magmouse said:

I am interested in 7mm scale, as I am sure some others will be

At the moment I am concentrating on 4mm, but once the printing is more established I have plans on moving into other scales, starting with 7mm. I have already redone a few of my own designs in 7mm as a test (Most stuff on the website is designed by other people, so is upto them), unfortunately nothing that would run on GWR metals yet, but it will come one day!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

At the moment I am concentrating on 4mm, but once the printing is more established I have plans on moving into other scales, starting with 7mm. I have already redone a few of my own designs in 7mm as a test (Most stuff on the website is designed by other people, so is upto them), unfortunately nothing that would run on GWR metals yet, but it will come one day!

Gary

Thanks Gary - looking forward to it!

Nick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, magmouse said:

Although probably not interested in an E4, I am definitely interested in pre-grouping GWR stock, and that of other companies that might have run through to GWR metals. Crucially, though, I am interested in 7mm scale, as I am sure some others will be. Are you able to share any plans for that yet?

Nick.

Is there anything in particular you are interested in, I have been thinking of drawing something in 7mm but not sure what to go for, not being familiar with what is not available for 0 gauge.

now I have the mono X I can test print wagons.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

More than happy to discuss doing prints locally in the UK via my fledgling 3D printing business, already working with a few designers including Woko, lots of bits to test print/build and get added to the website, but the slowly growing range can be seen at https://www.oakhillworks.co.uk/

Gary

EDIT:

2055449114_2023-03-0919_12_42.jpg.08b55f7a1316971e98b032b84fb24ae0.jpg

Gary

I would be interested in selling prints through you for the UK, as the minimum postage from Canada is approx, 10GBP. Would like to know what type of resin are you using, as from my experience most are far to brittle to be handle without kid gloves. I have a dozen or more wagons, and a few coaches from the GWR Victorian, and Edwardian period, that I have test printed, and I'm currently working towards, a 1854 saddle tank body to fit on the Bachmann 8750 chassis.

Stephen.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Is it just me who feels compelled to design potential layouts for available stock, rather than fantasising about potential stock for the available layout?!

I've done the opposite, but when I first decide to model the Edwardian period, some 25 plus years ago, there was a lot more available for the period, But my other interest, the Ffestiniog is seriously tempting now with all the new additions in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, stevel said:

Gary

I would be interested in selling prints through you for the UK, as the minimum postage from Canada is approx, 10GBP. Would like to know what type of resin are you using, as from my experience most are far to brittle to be handle without kid gloves. I have a dozen or more wagons, and a few coaches from the GWR Victorian, and Edwardian period, that I have test printed, and I'm currently working towards, a 1854 saddle tank body to fit on the Bachmann 8750 chassis.

Stephen.

You'll have a PM shortly

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stevel said:

Is there anything in particular you are interested in, I have been thinking of drawing something in 7mm but not sure what to go for, not being familiar with what is not available for 0 gauge.

now I have the mono X I can test print wagons.

A GWR 3-plank open would be interesting for me, and possibly for others modelling the pre-grouping period. The same basic design could be done with some interesting variations, I think:

• straight or round ends
  • standard iron underframe, or bulb iron underframe (see https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrms1213.htm)
  • grease or oil axle boxes 

There is a Slater's (ex Coopercraft) kit for this, but it is the wrong length and comes with DC1 brake gear, neither of which is correct. The WEP etched brass kit has its own limitations.

Alternatively a wooden outside framed van, with options for wooden or iron underframe.

PM me if you want to discuss further -

Nick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just received this Bachmann pannier, from Ebay, the basis for a couple of saddle tank, 3d printed engines.
They will be able to fit this chassis or the High level pannier chassis kit for EM or P4.

It's got a cracked keeper plate, and doesn't run very well, which I knew when I bought it, but it works for my purposes. 

1967255416_Bachmann8750.JPG.a53351871919fb31f4ca7e8d49c01c51.JPG1663055048_Bachmann8750c.JPG.19aaf0fb2d8cb77b9bab97b88f133c22.JPG601297598_Bachmann8750b.JPG.61a3e9cb67375de2c4248c74922c1d3a.JPG

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

Curious, red coupling rods. Is that a chassis from an 08 shunter that's been plonked under there? 

I don't think so, some of the other Engines on flea bay had the same thing. I could be wrong, though the axle centres are correct for this loco.

Edited by stevel

• 1 month later...

Have had very little modelling time recently, with a visit to the grandkids, and then some good weather enabling some yard work. So while I wait for drawings from the NRM for the 1854 saddle tank engine, I have started making some progress on the S4 boiler 3521 engine. Watching the progress @drduncan is making on his broad gauge version, has got me thinking of having a go at a 3D printed chassis for this model. This will be a sprung chassis with outside frame bearings. With very limited space to add weight, the tender will have to be used to load the rear axle. 

these are some rendering of progress so far35213quarterrender.jpg.f1e4f56495a9a1778595e97b6230d32a.jpg3521chassisrender.jpg.50aa09b69b4a2d7dceefa2639e82cb9a.jpg3521RHrender.jpg.ed31c25cf49d94022462a86a682a1743.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1