Rumney Models

jjnewitt

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 57xx said:

You could also try flattening the solder before cutting to make smaller bits to use. I squidge mine with some maun pliers before cutting small bits off. Very easy to control the amount of solder used.

Another way to get small bits of controllable solder is to file it with a fairly coarse file and make !solder dust" as I call it, I find it useful when RSU'ing.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 3 weeks later...

...thankyou, all of my modelling is 4mm P4.

Have a chat with Phil Sutton on 01780 470086 at Rail Exclusives/SLW loco works, he may be able to fix you up.

Apologies for this Justin. Any other queries re non Rumney items please ask on my own 8J22 Penmaenmawr thread, also on this site.

Rgds

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor

The first tippler through the paintshop is this fitted 1/184. The prototype finish in the period picture is purely rust, some patch painting where the lettering is. The first coat on the new plastic was a thinned red oxide primer/GWR freight brown to give a patchy finish that adhered and allowed the next layer to adhere on top. Mixing Phoenix red oxide, GWR freight brown and matt black in a dimple pallette with enamel thinners and applying several thin washes to recreate more patchiness of rust in what I think is an accurate shade got me to this base coat situation where I'm happy to apply Ore 26 VB decals. Once the decals are sealed with Rowney matt varnish I'll complete the underframe rust/frame dirt washes to suit and finish with some stone dust dirty matt varnish washes/white, grey weathering powders...

BeRTIe

IMG_5187.jpeg

• Like 5

Still a work in progress...loads being tweaked, etched corner strengtheners required on four wagons; plating repairs still being replicated; various decals being sourced for the variations on each wagon. Modelling a tippler rake in this way also highlights period issues with loading the variants. The capacity varied...26T for fitted wagons as they had over a ton of brake gear underneath, 27 or 27.5T for many of the others but this didn't take account of body height. Once the loaded wagons had been weighed at Penmaenmawr and the weights forwarded to the local TOPS office, for generating the trainlist/drivers slip, any overweight wagons would cause a rejection and require shunting out or manual removal of stone before reweighing. The taller 1/180 & 1/181s were usually involved. Conversely the lower sided unfitted 1/183 & 1/184s were often loaded to the point where chippings fell off the wagons en route, risking broken windows, injuries to track workers/passengers on platforms or else defects in pointwork becoming obstructed by them. The more uniform rake of similar tipplers in the lower picture was the progression from the more random situation that I'm modelling...

BeRTIe

IMG_5210.jpeg

IMG_5211.jpeg

• Like 9

Varying rust shades/faded grey as thin washes are going onto the first six tipplers as the dry weather allows today...more decal work once the rain returns...white primer is the base for the grey, with post 1964 BR freight grey added to produce a tired/faded version of the original, whilst the rust shades are based on red oxide primer with GWR freight brown added, matt black added as a third colour for the darkest two tipplers...

BeRTIe

IMG_5296.jpeg

IMG_5297.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5302.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A little Sunday engineering work has seen a pair of Bill Bedford RCH W irons fitted into a Rumney 16ft 6in, 9ft wheelbase unfitted underframe as the prototype 1/161, 1/162 hopper takes shape. The top-plate has been scrawked out to accommodate the modified Mainline RTR hopper body.

The scale diagram in the HMRS hopper book indicated that the hopper supports at each end needed re profiling too and 2 pairs of new inner struts fabricated...

IMG_5329.jpeg

IMG_5330.jpeg

IMG_5333.jpeg

• Like 6

...I'll look forward to it Mike 👍

Now comes the tricky part, weathering down the wagons little by little until the balance and intensity are about right. My technique is to group the build together and work in turn on whichever is the least convincing at that point but being careful only to add small amounts of weathering at a time...main tools in play at this stage are a wooden toothpick, a rustyish dilute enamel paint mix and a medium sable paintbrush with a little enamel thinners on the bristles...

BeRTIe

IMG_5400.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Modified Rumney 9ft tippler underframe with a 4 segment modified Mainline hopper body destined to be one of the first pair of five diagram 1/161, 1/162 P4 variants for Mostyn. Removing the hopper side detail means less razor saw cuts/segments (4 against 6) but it will need replacing with T section brass. A slight compromise when dealing with moulded plastic hopper bodies, as against sheet brass is the relative overthickness. This may dictate 1.2mm angle brass for the hopper top section, as against 1mm but these wagons will be formed amongst diagram 1/163, 1/166 ex ironstone hoppers with thinned resin hopper bodies, so will fit right in.

BeRTIe

IMG_5717.jpeg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Latest News September 2023

Just in time, some new items to report ahead of Scalefourm this weekend.

Lima Bogie Vee Presflo Detailing

A set of etches and 3D prints to update and correct the Lima model brought to you by Mike Whitchurch.

The 'full' kit (X.33A) includes correct length etched skirts and 3D printed ends which are missing on the RTR model. The kit assumes that you will lengthen the outer ends of the tanks with plastic strip (not included). The accompanying etched detailing includes new walkways, ladders, end anchors and lifting brackets as well as lamp irons, brake wheels and solebar detailing. 3D printed manholes are also included.

We appreciate that not everyone wants to go to the trouble of lengthening the tanks and replacing the skirts so the detailing etch from the 'full' is available separately (X.33B). This includes the 3D printed manholes.

X.33A - £24 Lima bogie vee Presflo skirts and detailing

X.33B - £8 Lima bogie vee Presflo detailing only

LimaBogieVeePresflo(B).jpg.b6bbdc3439c78367ad6ce3fb15cdeb6f.jpg

Ivatt Class 2 Tank Ladder

X.22 - £1.50 An etched replacement bunker ladder designed by Pete Tarver for the Bachmann loco.

IvattLadder-(1).jpg.fc7fc76c3fc7cc3308255a65bf1b63b8.jpg

LMS 6’6” Trailing bogie

X.29 - £6 A sprung bogie originally intended for a model of the LMS 2P but with applications for other LMS locos such as the 2-6-4Ts. P4 only.

2PBogie(1).jpg.02f86e15508fb39a00ac011feabac3a9.jpg

Reinstated Items - Wagon Detailing Etches

The steel ended wooden open and shock open detailing etches (B.102, B.103 & B.104) are available again from stock as is the Ratio LMS van strapping etch (B.105). Stocks are low for the BR Shocopen detailing (B.104) but I have good stocks of all the others.

Coming Soon

There was supposed to be another major release this month but a problem with the etches meant that it needed to be put back. A full kit for 1930s 10’ wheelbase class A tank wagons, with ether saddles or a cradle will be appearing soon, most probably in early January.

Hope to see some of you on the weekend,

Justin

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, heavymetalwagons said:

this is how far i got 15 years ago 

P1010002.JPG.92dd6038a8114995246f204f459370c8.JPGstrange thing is it got moved from "my may get round to doing box" onto my must get round to doing box/shelf "even before Justin's update  

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

Excellent job, I decided life was too short to re-do all the pipework, and the hopper chutes were adding cost on cost, but can be easily built from plastic card etc, so a decision was made!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The prototype hopper underframe is almost at the end of the soldering stage, just the tiebars and footsteps to add. It will then get a thorough clean ready for the Araldite/superglue stage. The brake levers are modified fully tapering types from Ambis etch WV5 whilst the prototype has modified Rumney brake lever guides (Justin is supplying a separate etch of correct ones for the production batch), also using a section of Colin Craig ladder etch stay as a long tie.

Test fitting the hopper body reveals a correct overall height of 38.5mm.

Tiebar and footstep added along with a plasticard strip at each end of the hopper that will disappear behind the hopper end supports but with gentle/sanding thinning is getting the hopper body to sit at the right height ready for tacking (allowing last positioning checks to be done) before Aralditing the body to the underframe...

BeRTIe

IMG_7794.jpeg

IMG_7795.jpeg

IMG_7813.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Today has seen work to fit the first outer end plate support. A 1mm strip soldered top & bottom to replicate part of the angle that attached it at either end. 8mm square styrene has been superglued on the inside to act as mount for the side plates that are yet to be fitted. All trace of the original moulded end supports had to be removed because they were simply inaccurate.

With end and side plates of the hopper end supports fitted...

BeRTIe

IMG_7829.jpeg

IMG_7831.jpeg

IMG_7840.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...