Airbrushing Matt varnish

sb67

I'm about to varnish a Lima class 31 I've re painted and was wondering if anyone has tried Windsor and Newton Matt Varnish or MIG Ammo Lucky Strike. On the jar of the Windsor and Newton it says it can be removed once dry with their varnish remover, this I'm thinking will be no good for weathering over. I don't know much about the Lucky Strike, just some good revues on military modelling sites. Has anyone had a try of any of these or can recommend a varnish good for air brushing?

Many thanks. 

• RMweb Gold

I use the Alclad II range and found them very good and easy to use through an airbrush. Cleaning up immediately afterwards is a must and requires a full strip down otherwise it gums up the needle, nozzle and anything else it comes into contact with. I also have some Vallejo matt acrylic which is applied with a brush and is also very good.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Thanks @ianLMS I've heard about the Alcan range and seen some good reviews, also got some Vallejo but when brushing mine dries with a white effect! I'm not sure what causes it. 

Not sure the white effect but i find if you just dust the model with the varnish, then its too dry and looks like dust more than a matt finish. I tend to flood the model a little heavy and dry with a hair dryer. I know several recommend artist aerosol matt varnish. I havent tried them though. I also have some varnish from Phoenix to try. All their other products are superb so i cant see any reason the varnish wouldnt be too

Edited by ianLMS
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I use W&N Matt Varnish all the time (I assume you mean the acrylic one?).

I've also used the Ammo one and do not rate it, although that's only my opinion of course.

Matt 

I ended up using the MIG one but will try the W&N as I can get that easier. Do you dilute the W&N one if airbrushing and have you had any problems once it's dried? I was put off by it saying it can be removed using their acrylic varnish remover, didn't want to wipe it off when using washes etc to weather.  

Edited by sb67

• RMweb Premium

I recently airbrushed some coaches with W&N Galleria gloss varnish.  I seem to recall that I decanted some of the varnish into the airbrush cup, then added only a few (4 or 5) drops of water from a pipette, mixed it up and then sprayed through a 0.4mm nozzle (I did of course experiment first on an old coach side to ensure that the mixture seemed right).  I was very pleased with the result.  No problems apparent after it dried, and I'd be very surprised if it could be subsequently "wiped off" other than by something pretty fierce.  I imagine that Galleria matt varnish would act similarly.

Edited by Torper
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sb67 said:

I ended up using the MIG one but will try the W&N as I can get that easier. Do you dilute the W&N one if airbrushing and have you had any problems once it's dried? I was put off by it saying it can be removed using their acrylic varnish remover, didn't want to wipe it off when using washes etc to weather.  

I dilute it with acrylic thinner. I've had no issues with it, however I apply it after the rest of the weathering has been completed.

• Thanks 1