Basingstoke Model Railway Exhibition 11th/12th March 2023

SElder

• RMweb Gold

Some extra clarification on the roadworks. 

Parts of the Brighton Hill roundabout will be closed with diversions in place. 

The AA signs directing traffic to the show will be different to normal. 

Traffic arriving from southwest via M3 Junction 7 will be OK arriving at show but will need to follow the diversion when leaving. 

Traffic arriving from the east via A30 will need to follow the AA signs from Winchester Road roundabout. These will take you north up Ringway West then off at Worting Road slip. Then go west on Worting Road and then after roundabout left onto Western Way which will take you to the school. 

After the show eastbound traffic can get to A30 as normal but westbound traffic will need to follow the diversion. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Hi,

Most layouts and stands set up by 8pm this evening. Our junior modular modular layout is looking good as are the extensive prizes on the tombola stall. Good model railway exhibition weather for the weekend. The big traders bring a lot of stock to this show, Kernow have come up from Cornwall rather than from their store at Guildford. Railway Modeller stand being set up. I think Steve Flint is to judge best layout. Our 009 Lynton and Barnstaple layout is looking good and our club stand has some exciting news about our clubs future plans and facilities.

Regards

Nik (a BMHMRS member, the club is still looking for recruits)

• Like 1

Unfortunately my wife just out of hospital has mobility issues.  Turned away from main car park as no spaces Overflow was too far away for her

Then what was galling is to having made a u turn watch 20 other cars get directed in without issues 😡😡

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hi,

We finished the first day having sold the same number of tickets as last year despite the huge rise in household costs such as energy and food. Big surges in arrivals when the vintage bus shuttle delivered more enthusiasts.

Mid afternoon saw Zimo, ESU Loksound and Lenz DCC decoders still available on trade stands.

The MERG stand had lot of interest. The layouts looked good to me.

Teas and coffees selling well on a cold day outside. Squires had their huge stand up on the stage. The club juniors were happy running their modular layout via their smartphones. Saw an ex club member with a  NSE liveried coach body from a Replica Railways suburban coach shell that is intended to be a centre car for a Kernow/Bachmann 2H to make a 3H. One layout had a OO NSE 3H which I think used 2 EPB bodies to make one centre car.

The Hornby Dublo layout also had a monorail which I hadn't seen before.

Parking should be a lot better Sunday.

Regards

Nik (a BNHMRS member, club still looking for more members)

Edited by NIK
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you to all.  I enjoyed myself greatly, and the vintage shuttle 'bus was appreciated by this public transport wallah.  Lots of inspiring layouts, the Lego layout wonderful, especially being a Southern Region setting.  Sorry my photographs did not do justice.

Gives me a dose of 'atmosphere' as a substitute for Ally Pally.  Hope everyone has made a profit, and next year's show is secure.  Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed the show, I don't do many shows but this is nice and local.  It was good to catch with old and new friends and although I am old school I did enjoy Collingwood.  I particularly enjoyed the 009 layouts, legs layout Romsey and Rod Moores display even though I do not model in ant of these "genres".  Well done to all involved, the only thing I would ask is where was the show advertised?  I have seen no adverts in the modelling press and very little on line, I would have probably missed it if it wasn't my local show and it has been in my diary since last year - please take this as constructive observation.  Well done on a good show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from the show; I'd only just realised it was on this weekend so decided to go to this instead of traipsing to Ally Pally next weekend, for my model show fix.  Well done to the organisers for another super event, great selection of layouts and mix of traders (although I managed to spend nothing at all, I'm just being brutal about not acquiring more stuff at the moment).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I managed to finally get in front of the JMRI driven monitor on the Collingwood layout. A chap in a MERG tee shirt was one of the operators.

Our club finished the show with a higher number of tickets sold than last year despite the roadworks near to the show and the economic crisis. Food costs had doubled so maybe the refreshments which normally provide a surplus may make a loss.

MERG stand very helpful. I may have picked up a project to do as I mentioned to our junior layout who wanted to paint a lightning bolt on a stormy backscene that projecting a lightning bolt from LED driven optics or similar might give a better effect.

Lots of compliments from people leaving the show including waiting until the last minute to leave despite the forecast of approaching rain.

Regards.

Nik (member of the BNHMRS - club still looking for more members)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On behalf of Clive (owner of Horsebridge Wharf) I must echo the thanks to the Basingstoke exhibition team for all their hard effort and hospitality. It was a very enjoyable weekend.

• Thanks 1

Huge Thanks and congratulations to Stuart Elder as organiser (I understand first time) of the show. Thanks also to all the Basingstoke team. I've been to the show regularly and this was my first major model railway show as exhibitor and very happy.

Firstly, pictures of Romsey & Halterworth ready for visitors before the show, its first time out as a layout in full loop configuration. I managed to grab a few moments to photo some of the other layouts, will share this evening. Album of all the photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAvzzL

1766951930_RomseyHalterworth-ModelRailwayShow3.jpg.c8346831ec12df932cf135e242886803.jpg

675174156_RomseyHalterworth-ModelRailwayShow2.jpg.e54465dd88b3d0cd6a30d5a54ff1ec46.jpg

1553952811_RomseyHalterworth-ModelRailwayShow4.jpg.c292c3006ed83318c6e71ed4528d409b.jpg

1684567820_RomseyHalterworth-ModelRailwayShow5.jpg.35a65fc540076ec080ec4faa8377f263.jpg

1010847733_RomseyHalterworth-ModelRailwayShow6.jpg.36c055efc030f427c4ec312d80ddad7f.jpg

Edited by OwenTheSignal
Add link to show album
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Time was a bit tight this year as exhibitor but I took the macro lens and tripod anyway in the hope of getting some shots. There always seems to be one layout at Basingstoke that is an unexpected attention grabber for me, and this year it was Zeedijk. I have a soft spot for Dutch Railways, as I worked in Holland for a year. Love the way Phil has set the railway back behind the interesting vignettes at the front. Heel mooi!

Zeedijk3.jpg.6c039259dfe4030bfe8946a57052297d.jpg

Zeedijk5.jpg.ce67f8cf82548305c24385a07be7f249.jpg

Zeedijk7.jpg.ea428c70554e0171687d0d80adc7481c.jpg

Zeedijk2.jpg.32321f06d10961b84d3211a34a24fc49.jpg

Zeedijk1.jpg.b651a81e6505013e1309ddebfb86c480.jpg

26801000_ZeedijkWindmill.jpg.4cf845515d960e475c261e5ce822366e.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just for the record I am only one part of the team who bring you our exhibition. There are many hard working individuals who contribute to making the show a success. 

Also thanks for all the kind comments. It looks like the show has gone down well with a healthy attendance. 

Now let's get on with next year's planning 😁

See you 9th and 10th of March 2024.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

Hi,

Just like to say a big thank you to SElder and the rest of the Basingstoke & North Hants Model Railway Society members for a great show!

Everything was very well organised and we were looked after well. Of course a huge thank you for awarding Collingwood 'Best in Show' and a huge congratulations to @SouthernRegionSteam for Sandy Shore winning the Chairman's Choice. The exhibition was full of very high quality layouts which I hold in high regard, so I'm very honoured to get the award.

Simon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2