Firmware update on resin printer…yay or nay?

• RMweb Gold

I believe firmware updates are available for my resin printers. Atm both seem to be working well (that’s the kiss of death then) but am tempted to install updates just because I can. 
You do hear horror  stories about post update problems, so my question is should I go ahead with this or not? The supplementary question is it usually a positive thing to do?

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Premium

If you have an Anycubic printer, the answer is No, don't upgrade unless you have a specific issue which you know the upgrade will solve if their support team have directed you to do it..

They are very poor at issuing release notes and it appears some firmware changes have been made simply to accommodate slicer enhancements - so you upgrade your firmware, find your favourite slicer wont work and either have to change slicer or revert to the previous version - which is not always possible as some of the updates are not reversible on older motherboards.

For any other printer, I would want to have a careful read of the release note for the upgrade to understand what the benefits / advantages are and the process to revert if need be.

Essentially - as if it's not broken, don't try and fix it in this instance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Chitu introduced an update to their 1.9 software which required new firmware to be installed. That wasn't unique to Anycubic, rather all Chitu machines (ie virtually all of them!). That was about a year ago. I agree that I wouldn't (/don't) update firmware unless you have a problem and/or want a feature included in a new update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with both Jim and Njee if it ain't broke... don't fix it! 

I have only had to update the bios on one of printers, and that was an fdm printer and I had upgraded the extruder to use different materials which is why i had to do it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, woko said:

I agree with both Jim and Njee if it ain't broke... don't fix it! 

I have only had to update the bios on one of printers, and that was an fdm printer and I had upgraded the extruder to use different materials which is why i had to do it.

I updated the firmware on one of my FDM printers not because the supplied firmware didn't work but for some reason it wouldn't work with Octoprint. Generally though I agree  "if it's not broke don't fix it".

• Thanks 1