The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Firefox Browser - playing live video streams off the web.

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Has anybody had a problem with playing webcams etc. recently?

I've had to change the default video player on Railcam UK as their default one doesn't work anymore.

I also couldn't play a BFI film I linked to but it works fine in Chrome.

I'm wondering whether a recent Firefox update has changed something.

Any ideas?

I'm on Win 10 with FF 64 bit ver 109.0.1

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MartinRS said:

I just had a look at a BFI film without any problems. Windows and FF versions are the same as yours.

It's strange, because a week ago all the Railcam streams worked and then suddenly they didn't.

Changing the default player cured that problem.

Today I linked to a BFI film in another topic but I couldn't get it to start, going over to Chrome meant it started immediately

I checked alll the security settings, removing them all for a short period but it made no difference.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MartinRS said:

Which BFI film did you attempt to view ?

This:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-jan-14-1965-llanfyllin-to-oswestry-branch-line-1965-online

Turning off Adblock makes no difference, I just get the play arrow in the middle of a blank frame.

EDIT If you turn off adblock for the site, then navigate away and return, then it will play.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Win 10 with FF 64 bit ver 109.0.1 like you, Keith.

Wouldn't play for me - play arrow in middle of blank screen.

Turned off ad blocker (uBlock Origin), reloaded page, played without any problems.

Anecdotally, I have had a slight increase in the number of websites having similar problems recently and have just been putting this down to either newer additions to the list of what is blocked or more websites looking for ad blockers.  The problems remain insignificant and I still have no intention of turning off my ad blocker as I find adverts too intrusive.  (I can't even stand watching tv channels like itv these days and not just because most of the programmes are low quality.)

• Like 1

On 07/02/2023 at 23:33, melmerby said:

This:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-jan-14-1965-llanfyllin-to-oswestry-branch-line-1965-online

Turning off Adblock makes no difference, I just get the play arrow in the middle of a blank frame.

EDIT If you turn off adblock for the site, then navigate away and return, then it will play.

When you turn off adblock, uBlock or whatever, you have to refresh the page to clear the blocking.  I just did that, and the video plays as it should.  Remember to re-engage shields once you've finished watching!

(Win11 22H2,  Firefox109.0.1)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The problem I find is that sites are using more and more ads so as if the site is adverts with a small amount of content in between.

One of the sites that AFAIAC has gone too far is "Farsons Digital Water Cams". It has info and images to do with rainfall and river/canal views.

I have been viewing it regularly for some years.

The image is just 25% of the screen in the top right hand quarter with the other 75% covered in a myriad of ads and what's more, recently you now get 2 adverts play in the image window before you can get to see the image itself.

Result? Link removed from my bookmarks menu and no more visits.

• Agree 1