Software to identify CVs

digger62

Hi

I have a DCC layout with around 60 locomotives and until now have been happy to just run them with minimal tweaking to CVs as I am only just coming to grips with which ones do what to the characteristics of the running.

Rather than sit each locomotive on a test track and individually check each CV variable and record it on an Excel spreadsheet is there some software that will interrogate it and display all the relevant CVs on my PC. I'm not looking for computer control, but just to form a database  of my rolling stock so that I can better understand and alter the CVs.

As always many thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards

Mark

DecoderPro - recording and presenting CV's for over 20 years.   Its a component within JMRI.  

Your DCC system may need the addition of a computer interface, typically these are USB devices to link the system to computer.   
Or, if those interface devices are silly-expensive for your DCC system, or not-available, then a stand-alone DCC programming hardware tool such as a Sprog.  

DecoderPro will export (and import) from Excel if you want it to, though I don't think you will need that.  

If only using a limited range of decoders, then there are other tools which work with just those decoders.  Has advantage of product specificity for single brands  (eg. "I only use ESU decoders" or "I only use Zimo decoders",  etc..).  

- Nigel 
(designer of a few of the components within JMRI/DecoderPro) 

• Agree 3

JMRI Decoder Pro software with a Sprog as a USB interface between the track and computer is what I have and I highly recommend it.  It provides the database, has a library of decoder CVs, allows the CVs to be to be tweaked easily and additionally has a throttle as a controller.  

Peterfgf

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

DecoderPro - recording and presenting CV's for over 20 years.   Its a component within JMRI.  

Your DCC system may need the addition of a computer interface, typically these are USB devices to link the system to computer.   
Or, if those interface devices are silly-expensive for your DCC system, or not-available, then a stand-alone DCC programming hardware tool such as a Sprog.  

DecoderPro will export (and import) from Excel if you want it to, though I don't think you will need that.  

If only using a limited range of decoders, then there are other tools which work with just those decoders.  Has advantage of product specificity for single brands  (eg. "I only use ESU decoders" or "I only use Zimo decoders",  etc..).  

- Nigel 
(designer of a few of the components within JMRI/DecoderPro) 

Nigel,

Just spotted this post, but just to say a big thankyou for posting the Zimo MS decoder files for Decoder Pro.

Peterfgf

• Thanks 1

Thank you Trevora, Nigel and Peterfgf for coming back so quickly. I am running an NCE Powercab so I guess the best option would be to go down the NCE USB Interface with JMRI software. Unfortunately the NCE version appears to be hard to come by at the moment, but I'll keep my eyes open.

I'm no computer expert, but having used the link that Trevora posted it appears there's a lot of support available.

Mark

1 hour ago, digger62 said:

Thank you Trevora, Nigel and Peterfgf for coming back so quickly. I am running an NCE Powercab so I guess the best option would be to go down the NCE USB Interface with JMRI software. Unfortunately the NCE version appears to be hard to come by at the moment, but I'll keep my eyes open.

I'm no computer expert, but having used the link that Trevora posted it appears there's a lot of support available.

Mark

Even-stevens between the NCE USB interface and a stand-alone Sprog, the choice depends what you want to achieve.   There are other low cost options as well, but more towards the DIY end of things.      

JMRI is very well supported, there is a groups.io forum for user support.   If you do use it, I recommend you update at least once a year - a lot of new things come out each year, and updates are usually very easy (just run the installer).  There are major updates to JMRI every six months, and minor (test releases) every four to six weeks.  

- Nigel 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Having the Sprog+JMRI setup has the advantage it's independent to your main DCC system, and since it's a full system in it's own right- it can be used either as a programmer or as a command station - serves as a back-up should the main system ever give problems. Another plus is you can set it up and use it with virtually any computor anywhere and it's most useful for basic setting up of locos/decoders on the workbench. Buying a Sprog is quite probably the best DCC investment I have made.

Bob

• Agree 4

Hi Bob

Many thanks for that. The NCE USB interface is like trying to find hens teeth. There doesn't seem to be any around in the UK and retailers don't know when they are likely to get further supplies. Also I'm not sure buying from the US is the answer due to postage and possible customs charges. Looks like the Sprog might be the way to go, but I see there are two different versions available, the Sprog II and the Sprog 3. Obviously the 3 is dearer, but is it the better option considering the higher price?

Mark

1 hour ago, digger62 said:

..... Looks like the Sprog might be the way to go, but I see there are two different versions available, the Sprog II and the Sprog 3. Obviously the 3 is dearer, but is it the better option considering the higher price?

They do slightly different things.   The "better" one depends what you are trying to do.

SprogII - lower power output, so well suited to programming and test-running a single loco in N/OO (and much of 7mm).  Can run a small layout, but perhaps better for N in that role, or only one/two locos on layout in OO, or testing/setting up a loco on the layout before disconnecting and going back to main layout control system.  

Sprog3 - higher power output.  Whilst it will program N/OO, its more abrupt in how it does it (the loco will lurch around more, and that's quite alarming lurches compared to the little "tap" from a SprogII).  Capable of running a slightly larger layout, with more simultaneous locos.   

Prices - don't forget they need a power supply, and the Sprog3 power supply is about twice the price of that for the SprogII.

If wanting a device for a programming bench in OO or N, then Sprog 2.   

If wanting device to drive layout (primarily to replace the PowerCab), then Sprog 3.  

Upside of Sprog route - you get an independent programming bench for setting things up. 
Downside of Sprog route - can't use it to drive your layout from computer/phone unless you disconnect the PowerCab.  

If you do get a Sprog, I recommend you make arrangements so you can swap over the layout between PowerCab and Sprog for some programming tasks.  Some tasks are easier "on the main" on the actual layout, such as fine-tuning speed settings when you can see the results as they happen.   Can be a simple double-pole switch, or an plug/socket to change between Sprog and PowerCab.

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, digger62 said:

Hi Bob

Many thanks for that. The NCE USB interface is like trying to find hens teeth. There doesn't seem to be any around in the UK and retailers don't know when they are likely to get further supplies. Also I'm not sure buying from the US is the answer due to postage and possible customs charges. Looks like the Sprog might be the way to go, but I see there are two different versions available, the Sprog II and the Sprog 3. Obviously the 3 is dearer, but is it the better option considering the higher price?

Mark

Hi

No connection with the seller but just noticed this

Cheers

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Just spotted this topic so, as and when you can get hold of an NCE USB Interface, you might like to have a look at A-Track as an alternative to JMRI Decoder Pro. A-Track has been in development almost as long as Decoder Pro and is, (in my opinion, as the developer) somewhat easier to get to grips with - everything is fully documented and help on any aspect is available immediately as you are running the program - you don't have to be online to the Internet.

A-Track runs under any version of Windows and will do everything you want to read your decoders, store everything as text files on your PC, and let you print it out fully formatted.

Have a look at the website if you are interested.