Improving TTS Sound (if that's at all possible?)

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I've acquired several Hornby TTS Sound fitted WR Castles and one in particular is absolutely hopeless (Clun Castle 7029). No exhaust synchro at all; goes from OK start chuffs to full speed within one or two notches.

The others I've checked are OK ish but basic as expected. They seem at least synchro but no real decent Coasting sounds.

Compared to a brand new Lord Nelson with fitted sound, they are pretty dire. I did have to pay for that one though; partly bargain but only by about £20.

I'm not fussed about having sound and they run OK without engaging it,  but these came with it and at a really  good bargain price too. Loco's smart and run fine BUT the sound is ####.

I use NCE Power Cab and all my  existing Loco's are fine and easily Programmed if not finely tuned with some less expensive non sound Decoders. 

It does appear though that my commands for alteration to the TTS settings just don't make any difference either.

Question is, can I do anything with the fitted TTS Decoder? 

Can it be reblown, as I am not forking out £100 a pop for decent Sound programmes (as I did with a Diesel Fleet quite a few years back). I'm talking 5 Castles here and a couple of other Loco's. 

Finally, I am totally hopeless at programming and can really only follow the provided (Hornby in this case) Instructions and or use the NCE pattern programming sequences. I mean I am really hopeless so PLEASE be kind and not use teccy language. Imagine I am really il informed (not difficult). I don't even know what 'BITS' are.

I can install my own Hard Wired Decoder parts and fit a Decoder to a DCC Ready or one that needs a replacement. I can then programme if required. I would use ZENs and similar for such work, not really cheap ones.

With thanks in anticipation.

N. Umpty

It is not possible to adjust the chuff rate. I believe from other posts that there is a set rate for groups of speed steps. There is very little that can be adjusted on the TTS decoders, limited set of CV’s.

The only people who can change the TTS decoder sound project is Hornby. In the past some decoders had to be returned to Hornby for modifications, whether they replaced the decoder or updated a eprom is only know to Hornby.

It seems that even for the new TXS decoders it is only Hornby that can create protects but for those you will be able to download a new project and reblow the decoders.

Edited by Bob83a
Typo’s
  • Thanks 1

I would be tempted to do a cv8 reset in case the acceleration deceleration parameters have been fiddled with.  Chuff synchronisation is not possible on TTS but the best investment is to pair them with a good speaker. The Hornby ones are cack and there are lots to chose from at only a couple of pounds. I use Roads And Rails for my replacement speakers. Good luck.

Edited by Chrisr40
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you both. I suspected that is the case. They are just Toy Decoders really, but in lovely Models! I shall try a reset and then if it's still crap then I'll not use the sound and may replace the decoder anyway. 

Phil 

15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thank you both. I suspected that is the case. They are just Toy Decoders really, but in lovely Models! I shall try a reset and then if it's still crap then I'll not use the sound and may replace the decoder anyway. 

Phil 

No problem. The steam chips are good value for what they are but the diesel ones are the best if you can find them now. I made a short video of my layout where I have quite a few TTS chips in steam locos, these all have better speakers than were supplied.

Edited by Chrisr40
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1