Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

N10

Hi all

I am currently building an O gauge "The Lady Armstrong" for my North Sunderland branch line. I have come to a bit of a detailing issue, on where the two vacuum cylinders are to be fixed under the chassis. Can anyone help me with photograph or detail of where/how they were fixed. I have looked at lot of photographs on the web, but to no avail.

Many Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised by the idea that any North Sunderland Railway vehicle was fitted with Vacuum brakes?

As the big railway to which the NSR connected - the North Eastern Railway - was very definitely an "Air Braked" railway and all the NSR passenger stock vehicles were ex NER or ex GER - another Air braked railway - I had always assumed that the NSR was an Air Braked railway? - Hence why the 0-6-0ST carried a vertical steam driven compressed air pump on the right-hand side of its smokebox.

By this reasoning I don't think "Lady Armstrong" ever carried the large vacuum Brake cylinders - but would have one or two smaller air brake cylinders and relevant air reservoirs - you can see ends of two reservoirs under the front (long bonnet) headstock.

Also look very carefully at the inter-vehicle brake pipes. They are the airbrake type with an isolating cock on the stand-pipe and a "Glad-hand" type coupling on the end. You can't use the normal big diameter reinforced rubber pipes as used on vacuum fitted vehicles.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

I accept that there are pictures of vehicles with vacuum pipes coupled - and that there are also pictures of obviously "vacuum" fitted BR - and LNER (ex NER) - locos.

However, the NSR was a "Air braked" line and all the pictures of "Bamburgh" and "Lady Armstrong" show "Air brake" inter-vehicle connections - never a "Vac-Bag" in sight.

Regards
Chris H

23 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I accept that there are pictures of vehicles with vacuum pipes coupled - and that there are also pictures of obviously "vacuum" fitted BR - and LNER (ex NER) - locos.

However, the NSR was a "Air braked" line and all the pictures of "Bamburgh" and "Lady Armstrong" show "Air brake" inter-vehicle connections - never a "Vac-Bag" in sight.

Regards
Chris H

I have no idea either way. Why would they bother connecting Vacumn pipes if they are not used ??.

Try contacting Daddyman on here , he has built a number of NSR Locos etc.

Edited by micklner

On 08/02/2023 at 23:25, Metropolitan H said:

I'm surprised by the idea that any North Sunderland Railway vehicle was fitted with Vacuum brakes?

As the big railway to which the NSR connected - the North Eastern Railway - was very definitely an "Air Braked" railway and all the NSR passenger stock vehicles were ex NER or ex GER - another Air braked railway - I had always assumed that the NSR was an Air Braked railway? - Hence why the 0-6-0ST carried a vertical steam driven compressed air pump on the right-hand side of its smokebox.

By this reasoning I don't think "Lady Armstrong" ever carried the large vacuum Brake cylinders - but would have one or two smaller air brake cylinders and relevant air reservoirs - you can see ends of two reservoirs under the front (long bonnet) headstock.

Also look very carefully at the inter-vehicle brake pipes. They are the airbrake type with an isolating cock on the stand-pipe and a "Glad-hand" type coupling on the end. You can't use the normal big diameter reinforced rubber pipes as used on vacuum fitted vehicles.

Regards

Chris H

Thanks for that, I have had a senior moment . It is the air cylinders at each end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As usual I'm very late to finding many threads that interest me but can I ask if this build is (was) using the Alphagraphix kit, please and if so how did you find it. I've currently vowed not to buy any more 7mm kits until I have built some of the ones in my stash ... but this one might tempt me to part with some cash, I think.

Kind regards,

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2023 at 11:37, 03060 said:

As usual I'm very late to finding many threads that interest me but can I ask if this build is (was) using the Alphagraphix kit, please and if so how did you find it. I've currently vowed not to buy any more 7mm kits until I have built some of the ones in my stash ... but this one might tempt me to part with some cash, I think.

Kind regards,

Ian.

I have built better kits, The negatives 

Not all parts/materials are included, (I accept that wheels motor etc are usually an extra) you have to purchase brass tube( 50mm), couplings. The big one for me is that the wheel sets are 1/8 inch axle and the gear sets fit 3/16 axles, I was unable to find an off the shelf solution for this. I  purchase 3/16 brass rod and asked a pal to turn me a bush. The instructions say that rail cow catchers ( piece of track rail) are provided  not in my kit. I emailed Alphagraphics, and I am still waiting for a reply. Drawbars have to be fitted early in the assembly as once the body is soldered up there is no going back to be able to use a sprung pair. I wanted to use brass sprung buffers, but not possible as there is no space for the nuts behind the stocks. They do not even supply fixing nuts/bolts  to attach the body to the chassis. As an avid builder of Connersure kits and extremely happy with JM kits Alphagraphics is nowhere near to his quality. 

I only purchased The Lady Armstrong kit as my layout is the North Sunderland branch.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, N10 said:

I have built better kits, The negatives 

Not all parts/materials are included, (I accept that wheels motor etc are usually an extra) you have to purchase brass tube( 50mm), couplings. The big one for me is that the wheel sets are 1/8 inch axle and the gear sets fit 3/16 axles, I was unable to find an off the shelf solution for this. I  purchase 3/16 brass rod and asked a pal to turn me a bush. The instructions say that rail cow catchers ( piece of track rail) are provided  not in my kit. I emailed Alphagraphics, and I am still waiting for a reply. Drawbars have to be fitted early in the assembly as once the body is soldered up there is no going back to be able to use a sprung pair. I wanted to use brass sprung buffers, but not possible as there is no space for the nuts behind the stocks. They do not even supply fixing nuts/bolts  to attach the body to the chassis. As an avid builder of Connersure kits and extremely happy with JM kits Alphagraphics is nowhere near to his quality. 

I only purchased The Lady Armstrong kit as my layout is the North Sunderland branch.

Thankyou for the reply and the appraisal of the kit, I'm probably in a similar position to you in that my interest lies with the North Sunderland Railway (I was up there just a few months ago) and so will probably give the kit a go anyway despite it's failings. 

Thanks for the mention of the axle / gearbox incompatibility issue, as they say forewarned is forearmed, as most of my etched loco experience is with 3mm scale kits I may be able to find a solution within the 3mm Society members. I think it would probably be wise of me to build a couple of my (old style) Agenoria kits first before tackling the Alphagraphix one, the last 7mm loco that I built was the small Greenwood & Batley loco that John Taylor (Uncommon Kits) sells and I stalled at the 90% complete stage when I decided that it would be better with a Delrin Chain drive, which I'm afraid is stiil on the 'to do' list; some of the issues, or preferences that you have found sound to be similar to the G&B kit, ie couplings and buffers.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll give it some more thought before I commit.

Regards,

Ian.

The Slaters K class used the 1/8th axle. The solution is to think outside of the usual 7mm.box and use a 4mm motor and gearset. This should be more than adequate for the prototypical loads that the MW might be expected to haul.

The High level range should have a suitable gearbox. They should also be able to advise on the difference between 3mm and.1/8".

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CKPR said:

This makes at least three of us currently modelling the North Sunderland in O gauge.

I'd like to think that I might manage a small layout at some point, probably fictitious such as the proposed Bamburgh extension, Beadnell harbour or maybe a totally made up line to Craster (with it's quarry and kipper smoking houses) which I know have all been done before but a couple of other projects need doing first in N and 3mm (original TT ... not the new Hornby venture.)

I have the MW 'L' kit and a Dapol Sentinel, plus a few others in 7mm (possibly a Y7 (can't remember)) but I still need to buy some Connoisseur coaches, a J79 ... and 'The Lady Armstrong.' I've also got most of these items in 3mm scale as I try to buy things whilst I can (the 3mm Y7 has already been built.)

A lovely little line and a beautiful area.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
  • Like 2

Just an update on my earlier posting, I am almost there. In addition to the previous issues I had to cut part of the chaise bottom plate away so I could centralise the gear with the worm of the motor. I have just one issue left, and that is the driving wheel pivot bolts (12BA) are not long enough to give clearance to the cranks. ‘Ah’ he said just use longer bolts but, I just cannot find a supplier of 12BA bolts that are a minimum of 18mm long. Can anyone help with a supplier please?

Another tip is to drill the whitemetat headlights from the back and drill the body so a small piece of brass 0.7 mmcan be used to stiffen the fixing of them. The headlights on their own are weak.

For those of you who are considering building the same, I would not cut to length the 3mm tube (for the jack shaft) at the length stated, wait until you are assembling the wheel sets.

I will post photographs when it is completed.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 27/02/2023 at 14:22, 03060 said:

I'd like to think that I might manage a small layout at some point, probably fictitious such as the proposed Bamburgh extension, Beadnell harbour or maybe a totally made up line to Craster (with it's quarry and kipper smoking houses) which I know have all been done before but a couple of other projects need doing first in N and 3mm (original TT ... not the new Hornby venture.)

I have the MW 'L' kit and a Dapol Sentinel, plus a few others in 7mm (possibly a Y7 (can't remember)) but I still need to buy some Connoisseur coaches, a J79 ... and 'The Lady Armstrong.' I've also got most of these items in 3mm scale as I try to buy things whilst I can (the 3mm Y7 has already been built.)

A lovely little line and a beautiful area.

Regards,

Ian.

I took the caravan to seahouse last year again for a few days and yes I agree that part of the NE coast is fantastic but cold. I have purchased two wooden fishing boat kits on ebay, the scale of the boats is fine to blend in . Be aware if you decide to do the same the boat that comes with basically coffee stirrers takes a lot of time as each plank is twisted two fold to follow the profile of the hull

• Thanks 1