Lineside cabinet dimensions

lather

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the typical grey metal lineside cabinets, especially the wider double-door ones? I've been hunting online for the sizes, and what little info I've found seems to be too tall and narrow for the ones I'm thinking of, as they all come out at about 6ft tall by 3ft wide, while the ones I'm thinking of seem lower and wider (at least when seen from a passing train!).

Also, most of the cabinets seem to have a pitched (i.e. house roof-style) top, or a single-sloping one (sloping from front to back). Are there any that have a horizontal flat top?

I'm thinking of the sizes of the metal box part, not including any concrete base below the metal part.

TIA.

• RMweb Premium

Depends on the era you're thinking of modelling. Lots of different size cabinets over the years, and different 'styles' (preferences) between regions. I think I still have some dimensions of some modern locs (2000 onwards). I'll try and dig them out and post here, but might be tomorrow. 

• Agree 1

Era-wise, I'm thinking of the Rail Blue to Sectorisation period, and mainly the London Midland region. And the reason I said without the concrete base is because I'm think about having them as wagon loads, either in bulk from manufacturers to depots or as part of a mixed load from depot to work site. 

As Ian says there have been very many different designs and styles over the years.  Older cases are still common because they get installed on a major resignalling but they don't get replaced routinely, also they would usually all be the same style on any major project.  Six feet (ignoring concrete base) does strike me as slightly too high and three feet significantly narrow for a full size double-door cabinet, although depending on what needs to be housed, a half-width one is commonly used, usually with a single door.

It's usual to have doors on both sides of the cabinet, as most relays are plugged into racks mounted vertically down the middle of the cabinet, the relays being plugged in from one side, the wiring to the relay bases being round the back; such access from both sides may not always be needed depending on the equipment which needs to be housed; older wooden cabinets typically had a single door and held shelf relays.  They should be sited so that a technician can open all doors fully on both sides and still be in a positon of safety whilst working on them - so not too close to the track or a brick wall, though they can of course be turned to 90 degrees from the track if that helps in more confined spaces. The area round the cabinet needs to be kept clear of vegetation for a similar reason.  Doors need to be capable of being held open while working, especially it it's windy - so they are often provided with hinged bits of wire (like a car bonnet stay) to hook into the doors. 

Dimensions and other details can be seen here for one particular product ...

https://www.technocover.co.uk/product/ultrasecure-rail-location-apparatus-case-full-loc

• Like 1

Taken from that link,

Standard Full Location size - 1845mm (height) x 1010mm (width) x 535mm (depth).

IMHO, that has been the standard size at least since the late 1950s modernisation plan signalling schemes, only the high security featires are more recent. The LMR 60s resignalling versions mostly had a peaked roof or a slope to the back depending on the specific contractor. No level flat roofs as that would be asking for corrosion, roofs have to shed water. Versions with no doors at the back were used, eg for battery boxes but were not numerous.

• Like 1